Campaign for TC
Nutrition Conference Overview
On Valentine’s Day, Teachers College hosted the conference “Bringing Policy to the Table: New Food Strategies for a Healthier Society." Highlights included:
- Remarks by TC President Susan Fuhrman and TC
Board Vice Chair Laurie M. Tisch, President of the
Laurie M. Tisch Illumination Fund, which co-presented the
- Announcement of the new Laurie M. Tisch Center for Food, Education & Policy, based at the College (remarks by Isobel Contento, Mary Swartz Rose Professor of Nutrition Education, and Pamela Koch, the new Center’s Executive Director).
- Two panel discussions, both moderated by Madelyn Fernstrom, Diet and Nutrition Editor of NBC’s TODAY Show. The first panel, “Driving Change: What Evidence Do Policymakers Need?”, featured Newark Mayor and TC Trustee Cory Booker, New York City Council President Christine Quinn and Manhattan Borough President Scott Stringer. The second panel, titled “How Do We Know What Works?”, featured Susan Kansagra, Assistant Commissioner of the Bureau of Chronic Disease Prevention and Tobacco Control of New York City’s Department of Health and Mental Hygiene; Noreen Clark, Myron E. Wegman Distinguished University Professor of Public Health at the University of Michigan; Nicole Harris-Hollingsworth, Senior Director of Community & Population Health at Montefiore Medical Center in the Bronx and President of the New York City Public Health Association; and Jamie Bussel, Program Officer with the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation.
- Unveiling of the Laurie M. Tisch Illumination Fund’s new Healthy Food and Community Change Initiative, of which the Tisch Center for Food, Education & Policy is part. Rick Luftglass, the Illumination Fund’s Executive Director, introduced the Initiative’s other grantees: Michel Nischan, CEO and President of Wholesome Wave: Fruit and Vegetable Prescription Program; Denise Scott, Managing Director, Local Initiatives Support Corporation New York City: Communities for Healthy Food NYC; and Jilly Stephens, Executive Director, City Harvest: Healthy Neighborhoods Initiative.
- Closing remarks by Kevin Concannon, Under Secretary for Food, Nutrition, and Consumer Services in the United States Department of Agriculture.
See the highlights from the conference