Professional Certification Program in Elementary Education
1. If I want to be a full-time student how many points should I be taking?
Twelve points is considered a full time load in the fall or spring semester. Six points is considered a full-time load in each summer session. With approval from your advisor, you can take up to 14 points a academic year semester.
2. If I am teaching full-time, how many courses can I take each semester?
One or two courses, at most, a semester would be advisable during the academic year when you are teaching.
3. What if I need to be a full-time student for loan, housing, insurance purposes, but I can’t take 12 points?
During the semesters you are enrolled in a practicum (4005 for 4 points) or working on your master’s project (4502 for 1 or 0 points), your advisor can sign a “certificate of equivalency” form indicating that the college considers you a full-time student.
4. How much time will I be in schools for the 4005 practicum and the 4502 master’s action research project?
The 4005 practicum requires 50 hours of field work during the fall semester. Time commitments for the master’s action research project vary depending on the nature of the project, but generally students average 10-15 hours a week in the classroom from October through mid-April.
5. If I have already done student teaching, do I still need to do the 4005 practicum?
Yes, the 50 hour practicum is a requirement by New York State for professional certification. All students in the program have already completed student teaching or its equivalent.