Course Requirements for the 52 Credit Program with Gifted Extension
The gifted education extension option allows students in the Elementary Inclusive Education Program to receive the New York State extension in gifted education along with their initial elementary education certification by including 12 credits in gifted education in their course of study. Students who choose this option complete an additional semester of student teaching (3 credits) in a gifted education setting, which can be an inclusive setting, along with three courses in gifted education. This is a 52-point M.A. program.
Students who are interested in entering this program can choose this option either when they apply for admission to the Elementary Inclusive Education Program, by designating the extension on their applications, or by informing Professor Borland and Professor Oyler of their intention to pursue the extension once they have matriculated in the Elementary Inclusive Education Program.
Since the extension program combines courses and requirements from the Elementary Inclusive Education Program and the Program in Gifted Education, advisement is provided by the faculty of both programs. Faculty in the Program in Gifted Education advise students on matters related to courses in gifted education, student teaching in gifted education, and the culminating project.
If students have any questions about the extension program, they should get in touch with Professor Borland at email@example.com.
Course Requirements for the Gifted Education Extension
Foundation and Methods Courses:
- C&T 4000 Disability, exclusion, and schooling** (3)
- C&T 4143 Multicultural social studies** (3)
- MSTM 5010 Math methods (3)
- MSTC 4040 Science methods (3)
- HBSS 4116 Health education for teachers (1)
- Various Educational foundations (philosophy/social science in education or child development) (2)
Student Teaching Semesters:
- C&T 4123 Core: Inclusive curriculum and instruction (fall) (3)
- C&T 4123 Core: Inclusive curriculum development (spring) (3)
- C&T 4726 Professional lab experience (year-long course) Practica and student teaching (8)
- C&T 4702 Student teaching: Giftedness (3)
- C&T 4133/2 Literacy methods (fall and spring) (6)
- Various Literacy electives (2)
Gifted Education Courses
Nine credits from any of the following:
- C&T 4021 Nature and needs of gifted students (2-3 credits)
- C&T 4022 Instructional models in the education of gifted students (1-3 credits)
- C&T 4023 Differentiated curriculum for gifted students (2-3 credits)
- C&T 4024 Planning and implementing programs for gifted students (3 credits)
- C&T 4026 Giftedness and intelligence (2-3 credits)