deaf and hard of hearing
The Program in the Education of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing at Teachers College, Columbia University is one of the oldest teacher education programs in the country. It provides an intensive study of the educational issues of individuals who are d/Deaf and hard of hearing from the perspectives of psychology, anthropology, linguistics, child development, and pedagogy with the aim of preparing teachers who will address the educational and literacy needs of these youngsters. We serve and prepare individuals for work with children who possess a wide range of hearing losses in classes using diverse communication systems.
We offer the following Masters program options:
- 60 credit EdM (MA en passant) degree that leads to dual certification as a teacher of the d/Deaf and hard of hearing (all ages) as well as a teacher of regular education at a specific age range or content domain (Early Childhood, Childhood, Math, Science, Social Studies, Reading Specialist).
- 60 credit EdM (MA en passant), stand-alone degree that leads to certification as a teacher of the d/Deaf and hard of hearing (all ages).
- 40 credit MA that does not currently lead to university endorsed certification but leads to state certification through the individual pathway route. This program is primarily for candidates who are already certified as teachers and wish to pursue the Deaf Ed specialty area as an additional certificate.
All programs also lead to Council on Education of the Deaf (CED), initial certification, which is a national professional certification.
We offer the following Doctoral program:
- Doctor of Philosophy in Deaf Education
For additional information click to download the degree handbooks below and/or contact the Program Coordinator, Dr. Ye Wang (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Deaf and Hard of hearing (M.A.) (Ed. M.) DHEA
- Deaf and Hard of hearing and early childhood education (Ed. M.) DHEI-DUAL
- Deaf and Hard of hearing and childhood education (Ed. M.) DHCI-DUAL
- Deaf and Hard of hearing and reading specialist (Ed. M.) DHRI-DUAL
- Deaf and Hard of hearing and adolescence education (Ed. M.) DHAE-DUAL
- Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) DHEA
Degree Handbooks (pdf):