How can participating in world-renowned institution that prioritizes research, theory, and practice help you influence the communities and contexts as you develop your leadership in schools, districts, organizations, and education systems around the world?
And, how do researchers, scholars, and professors of education leadership collaborate with aspiring and practicing leaders to develop the internal capacities that they need to teach, learn, and lead in an increasingly complex environment that constitutes the field of education today?
One promising way is to learn about how to create schools, districts, organizations, and professional learning environments that support adult and organizational growth and development. Our PhD program will equip you to do just that—and more. For example, you will develop expertise in utilizing analytic tools and strategies to shape contexts that build schools, districts, and education more broadly by gaining skills in research and theoretical underpinnings of Education Leadership.
Increasingly, we are coming to understand that we must: 1) prepare leaders who are equipped to be the architects of adult learning and development in their schools, districts, organizations, and systems and 2) that data is integral to effective decision making, leadership, and increasing student achievement.
Our PhD program in Educational Leadership:
- Sits at the nexus of national and international research, theory, and real-world practice. You will address the theory-to-practice connection through coursework.
- Focuses on building bridges from research to practice employing qualitative, quantitative, and mixed methods approaches.
- Equips students with the necessary skills to investigate and respond to critical issues in education leadership today from multiple perspectives, as they seek solutions to questions asked and those not yet imagined.
- Challenges and supports scholars and practitioners as they redefine notions of education leadership, education leadership development, and education leadership research and practice and care for the future of education.
- Provides a supportive, mentoring environment to develop critical thinkers, thought leaders, systematic and skilled researchers, and innovative scholars.
- Develops aspiring professors in education leadership who can effectively prepare practicing and aspiring leaders to manage the complexity of leading in the 21st century.
This is the mission of the PhD program in Education Leadership at Teachers College, Columbia University