EdD in College Teaching
EdD in College Teaching
The program leading to the degree of Doctor of Education in College Teaching of Art, while emphasizing a broad artistic and scholarly base, requires students to focus more narrowly on one area of interest.
Designed primarily for students who teach, or who wish to teach, in a studio area or undertake administration at the university/college level, the course of study focuses on advanced understanding in the studio disciplines, adult learning, and the diversity of practices of the artist in today's society.
Students are expected to carry out individual research projects within their own artistic discipline; possibilities exist for internships in college teaching in an array of different settings.
Candidates for admission to this degree should have an MFA or equivalent with clear evidence of strong academic ability; an exceptionally strong portfolio with evidence of inclusion in juried exhibitions, and in their personal statements should show serious interest in university/college level teaching.
Required courses in Art Education (23 points minimum):
- A&HA 4085 Historical foundations of art education (3 points)
- A&HA 4088 Artistic development: Adolescence to adulthood (2 points) with co-requisite A&HA 4281 Field observations in art education (1 point)
- A&HA 5063 Advanced studio (2-3 points)
- A&HA 5081 Curriculum design in art education: Advanced (2 points)
- A&HA 5082 Philosophies of art in education (2-3 points)
- A&HA 5086 Art in visual culture (2 points)
- A&HA 6002 Teaching and administration of art education in colleges (1-4 points)
- A&HA 6482 Internship in the teaching of college and museum programs (3 points)
- Three advanced studio courses (2-3 points each)
Required Dissertation Seminar Sequence in Art Education (8 points):
- A&HA 7502 Dissertation Seminar I (2 points)
- A&HA 6502 Doctoral Seminar (2 points)
- A&HA 7502 Dissertation Seminar II (2 points)
- A&HA 6510 Advanced seminar in art education research (2 points)
- A&HA 8900 Dissertation Advisement (0 points) ongoing, as needed
Suggested courses in Art Education (up to 39 points):
- A&HA 6003 Critical perspectives and practices (2 points)
- Two additional courses in philosophy (2-3 points)
Required Research courses (6-9 points minimum):
- A&HA 5005 Visual arts research methods (2-3 points)
- A&H 5001 Research methods in arts education (3 points)
Professional Development: Exhibition (3 points):
- Independent study studio (3 points)
- A&HA 6999 Exhibition Rating (0 points)
Presentation Requirement (0 points):
- Conference Presentation
Required courses outside the Program (15 points minimum):
- ORLD 4051 How adults learn
- ORLH 5011 College teaching and learning
- Courses in social and cultural bias in teaching and learning, aesthetics and philosophical bases of teaching and learning, advancing knowledge, student development and counseling, and/or administration.
In addition, requirements for the dissertation for the EdDCT may be met by combining studio work and a written document. Candidates should be in touch with the Office of Doctoral Studies to be certain of complying with the latest procedures, deadlines, and documents.