Master of Arts (34 points)Required courses in Art Education (24 points):
- A&H 5001 Research methods in arts education
- A&H 5005 Visual arts research methods
- A&HA 4080 Artistic development of children
- A&HA 4081 Curriculum design in art education
- A&HA 4281 Field observations in art education (two terms) (1 point each)
- A&HA 4085 Historical foundations of art education
- A&HA 4088 Artistic development: Adolescence to adulthood
- A&HA 5082 Philosophies of art in education
- Studio course required
- A&HA 5922 Master’s seminar in art education
Chosen with advisor approval. Three TC courses (each course must be for a minimum of 2 points) outside of the program.
Elective courses from: Art Education, studio, other programs of the College (4 points):
Chosen with advisor approval.
In addition, students in this M.A. program are required to complete a master’s culminating project on a theme or research topic arising from their interests.
A three-year summer INSTEP Master of Arts degree is offered by the program. This degree may be used for New York State Professional Certification for individuals who hold initial certification and have the necessary credentials. For details about the Summer INSTEP program requirements and schedule see: www.tc.columbia.edu/instep/. Contact Ms. Amanda Newman-Godfrey, Program Office (email@example.com)