Master of Arts with Teacher Certification (40 points)Required courses in Art Education (20 points minimum):
- A&HA 4079 Exploring cultural diversity: Implications for art education
- A&HA 4080 Artistic development of children
- A&HA 4081 Curriculum design in art education
- A&HA 4085 Historical foundations of art education
- A&HA 4087 Processes and structures in the visual arts
- A&HA 4088 Artistic development: Adolescence to adulthood
- A&HA 4090 Museum education issues I: Culture of art museums
- A&HA 5090 Museum education issues II: Missions and standards
- A&HA 4281 Field observations in art education (two terms)
- A&HA 4702 Supervised student teaching in art education: Secondary
- A&HA 4722 Supervised student teaching in art education: Elementary
- Studio Courses (two terms)
Chosen with advisor approval. Three TC courses (each course must be for a minimum of 2 points) outside of the Program.
A&HA 5181. The arts in education (2-3)
Faculty. An examination of ideas about the interdisciplinary role of the arts in traditional and nontraditional educational and administrative settings through analysis of programs,
projects, policy issues, and political processes that involve the visual arts, dance, music,
and theater. Special fee: $30.
A&HA 5086. Art in visual culture (2)
Dr. Moser and guest critics. Corequisite A&HA 5063. Permission of instructor required. Required seminar for Ed.M. and Ed.D. students. An examination of the role of art culture in contemporary life, employing experiences from art works, museums, galleries and alternative spaces, readings, and discussion. Special fee: $25.
A&HA 6003. Critical perspectives and practices in the arts (2)
Faculty. Students investigate their creative practice from several critical perspectives and produce personal profiles and arts projects within educational and cultural contexts. Special fee: $25.
A&HA 6502. Doctoral seminar: Arts in education (2)
Dr. Sagolla. Required seminar for doctoral students who are completing certification papers, developing literature reviews or exploring and applying research methods. The seminar includes faculty/student presentations, group discussions and critiques.
A&HA 6580. Problems in art and education (2-4)
Faculty. Specific problems of art and art education examined. Different topics each semester. Permission of instructor required. Special fee: $15.
A&HA 7502. Dissertation seminar in art education (2)
Professor Burton. Two required tutorial sessions for doctoral students to help develop or refine topics of inquiry for research. The teaching format is flexible and may include faculty/student presentations, group discussions and critiques. May be repeated. Section 2 is required of all doctoral students in the program in the semester following successful completion of written certification papers and involves preparation and presentations of dissertation proposal for approval. Sections: (1) Certification preparation, (2) Dissertation proposal preparation.
A&HA 8900. Dissertation advisement in art education (0)
Faculty. Individual advisement on doctoral dissertations. Fee to equal 3 points at current tuition rate for each term. For requirements, see section in catalog on Continuous Registration for Ed.D. degree.