MA in Bilingual/Bicultural Education (Second Initial, Professional)
Professional/Second Initial - 33 Points (Minimum)
- Leading to the Bilingual Extension Certification and Professional certification in the area in which student is already certified.
- Optional Middle Childhood Extension Certification (5-9)
- For students who already hold teaching certification in another area.
- Listed are the requirements for completion of degree. Electives may be taken. Consult with advisor for courses that are highly recommended.
- If you already have your own classroom, take the Practicum for 3 credits. If you need a classroom placement, you must take the Practicum for 4 credits.
Fall I - Childhood, Culture, Language and Education
- A&HB 4021 Foundations of Bilingual/Bicultural Education (3 points)
- A&HB 4121 Bilingual/Bicultural Curriculum Design Elem/Mid School (3 points)
- A&HL 4076 or equiv TESOL Methodologies for K-6 (3 points)
- A&HB 4801-04 Language Workshops in Bilingual Education (1 points)
Spring I - Curriculum for Teaching Bilingual/Bicultural Children
- A&HB 4075 Cross-Cultural Communication and Classroom Ecology (3 points)
- A&HB 4028 Teaching Literacy in Bilingual Settings (3 points)
- A&HB 4133 Curriculum & Methods for Bilingual Ed: Science (1-3 points)
- A&HB 4134 Curriculum & Methods for Bilingual Ed: Math (1-3 points)
Fall II - Teaching Bilingual Children I
- A&HB 4150 Teacher Inquiry: Bilingual Education (1-3 points)
- AA&HB 4323 Practicum in Bilingual Institutions (3-4 points)
Spring II - Teaching Bilingual Children II
- A&HB 4020 Foundations of Bilingual Special Education (3 points)
- A&HB 4024 Linguistics Foundations of Bilingual/Bicultural Education (3 points)
Additional Requirement for NY State Certification
- HUDK 4022 Developmental Psychology: Childhood (or equivalent) (1-3 points)