The Program in Bilingual/Bicultural Education offers a variety of educational pathways through its programs of study. Each program of study, or "academic track", is designed to meet different needs. Which track you must follow will depend on your prior educational experience and background and your goals. When you apply to the Program in Bilingual/Bicultural Education, you are accepted into one of the following tracks, and you must follow the requirements for that track. Change in track may be made only with academic adviser approval. Students of all tracks must be bilingual.
Below you will find links to detailed information about each of the academic tracks that are offered by the Program in Bilingual/Bicultural Education. All of our MA programs generally take two years to complete (longer for part-time students).
Master of Arts in Bilingual/Bicultural Studies - Academic Track (not leading to teacher certification):
If you fit into any of the following categories, go to MA (Academic Track)
- I am not interested in teacher certification.
- I am an international student who will go back to my country, and my country does not accept US certification.
- I am interested in policy aspects of bilingual education.
- I am interested in doing research on bilingual education.
- I am interested in teaching in bilingual settings other than schools.
Master of Arts Degrees leading to Initial Teacher Certification and the Bilingual Extension:
For students with little or no teaching experience: If you do not have teacher certification, were not an education major as an undergraduate, and have never taught, go to MA in Bilingual/Bicultural Childhood Education (Dual, Stream A).For students with at least one year of teaching experience: If you do not have teacher certification, but have at least one year of experience as a lead classroom teacher, go to MA in Bilingual/Bicultural Childhood Education (Dual, Stream B).
For students in the Peace Corps or Teach for
Master of Arts Degree leading to the Bilingual Extension (for certified teachers):
If you already have teacher certification, but want to get the Bilingual Extension certification and an M.A. degree, go to MA in Bilingual/Bicultural Education (Professional/Second Initial).
Non-Degree Program leading to the Bilingual Extension Certification:
If you fit into any of the following categories, see Advanced Certificate:
- I have teacher certification, do not need an M.A., but need the Bilingual Extension certification.
- I am pursuing teacher certification in another field, but need the Bilingual Extension certification.