About the College
Teachers College, Columbia University is the first and largest graduate school of education in the United States and is also perennially ranked among the nation’s best. Its name notwithstanding, the College is committed to a vision of education writ large, encompassing our four core areas of expertise: health, education, leadership, and psychology.
Teachers College sees its leadership role in two complementary arenas. One is as a major player in policy-making to ensure that schools are reformed and restructured to welcome all students regardless of their socio-economic circumstances. The other is in preparing educators who not only serve students directly but also coordinate the educational, psychological, behavioral, technological, and health initiatives to remove barriers to learning at all ages.
For more than 100 years, Teachers College has continued to:
- Engage in research on the central issues facing education
- Prepare the next generation of education leaders
- Educate the current generation of leaders in practice and policy to meet the challenges they face
- Shape the public debate and public policy in education
- Improve practice in educational institutions