Below you will find links to detailed information about each of the degree tracks that are offered by the Program in Bilingual/Bicultural Education. All of our MA programs generally take two years to complete (longer for part-time students).
Master of Arts in Bilingual/Bicultural Studies - Academic Track (not leading to teacher certification):
If you fit into any of the following categories, go to MA (Academic Track)
- I am not interested in teacher certification.
- I am an international student who will go back to my country, and my country does not accept US certification.
- I am interested in policy aspects of bilingual education.
- I am interested in doing research on bilingual education.
- I am interested in teaching in bilingual settings other than schools.
Master of Arts Degrees leading to Initial Teacher Certification and the Bilingual Extension:
For students with little or no teaching experience: If you do not have teacher certification, were not an education major as an undergraduate, and have never taught, go to MA in Bilingual/Bicultural Childhood Education (Dual, Stream A).
For students with at least one year of teaching experience: If you do not have teacher certification, but have at least one year of experience as a lead classroom teacher, go to MA in Bilingual/Bicultural Childhood Education (Dual, Stream B).
For students in the Peace Corps or Teach for
Master of Arts Degree leading to the Bilingual Extension (for certified teachers):
If you already have teacher certification, but want to get bilingual education certification and an M.A. degree, go to MA in Bilingual/Bicultural Education (Professional/Second Initial).
Non-Degree Program leading to the Bilingual Extension Certification:
If you fit into any of the following categories, see Advanced Certificate:
- I have teacher certification, do not need an M.A., but need the Bilingual Extension certification.
- I am pursuing teacher certification in another field, but need the Bilingual Extension certification.