Bilingual/Bicultural Education_OLD2
Teachers College, Columbia University
Teachers College
Columbia University

Skip to navigation menu

Skip to main content

To apply, please visit the Teachers College Admission website.

Major Codes - Be sure to put the correct one on your application. See the Degree Guide for information about the different tracks.

Major Code
Degree Track
Master of Arts - Academic Track
Master of Arts - Dual Certification (Stream A or B)
Master of Arts - Second Initial with Bilingual Extension
Master of Arts - Transitional B, Peace Corps

Fluency in English and a Language Other than English (LOTE) are required for the Program in Bilingual/Bicultural Education, as well as for the the courses of study leading to NY State certification in Bilingual Education.

Students whose first language is English must provide proof of proficiency in a LOTE by showing evidence of education or extended residence abroad; undergraduate coursework; or language proficiency scores (such as the GRE, SAT, or Peace Corps Assessment). During the admissions process, some students may be selected for further language testing by the Program in Bilingual/Bicultural Education. This testing is free to applicants, and is meant to verify written and oral language skills. Students must also submit their statement of interest in English and the LOTE. 

International students must submit TOEFL scores UNLESS they have received an Undergraduate degree (not Masters or Doctoral) from a school at which English is the primary language of instruction. The minimum TOEFL exam score required by Teachers College is 100 on the internet-based exam (IBT), 250 on the computer-based exam (CBT), and 600 on the paper-based exam (PBT). Applicants may obtain further information on TOEFL at or from their local overseas educational advising center. IELTS scores may be accepted in lieu of the TOEFL. If you have further questions about the TOEFL requirements at Teachers College, contact the Office of Admission.

Students seeking New York State Teacher Certification must also satisfy the Liberal Arts & Sciences Certification Requirements - this consists of undergraduate coursework in four basic content areas. Your undergraduate transcript will be evaluated during the admissions process, and you will be notified if you are deficient in one or more areas. For more information, see the Liberal Arts & Sciences Requirement page under Degree Info on the BBE website.