Application Requirements and Procedures
- Possess a vision of learning that promotes the success of all students;
- Demonstrates the ability to set goals and establish benchmarks to assess progress;
- Acts consistently with integrity and fairness to ensure that all stakeholders are treated respectfully;
- Demonstrates a belief that all stakeholders play a critical role in facilitating student achievement;
- Possesses the ability to thrive in high-pressure environments;
- Applies creativity, passion, and endurance to adaptive challenges;
- Possesses self-reflective competencies, and eagerly pursues opportunities for personal and professional growth.
- Three years of full-time paid teaching experience;
- Current position in a public school setting; Please Note: The Summer Principals Academy cannot place non-employed educators in Administrative Internships. If you are currently teaching, it is your responsibility to find a sponsoring school where you will perform the Administrative Internship during the intervening academic year.
- Commitment to serving as a leader in a public school setting;
- Demonstrated track record of success as an urban school educator;
- Minimum of one year of leadership experience (may include formal and informal roles);
- Institutional Endorsement Form
- An Online Application: Please be reminded that the code for the Summer Principals Academy is ELBL
- A Professional Resume
- Official copies of all undergraduate and graduate (if applicable) transcripts from which you have received academic credit
- Two professional letters of recommendation
- A thoughtful Statement of Purpose that addresses the following: (1) Please describe any formal or informal leadership experiences you have held, and what you have learned from these positions, and (2) Why do you believe SPA could be an appropriate program for furthering your leadership skills?
- Institutional Endorsement Form (see note above)
- Please Note: The GRE is not required for admission to SPA
Submission of Application Materials
Please mail official undergraduate and graduate (if applicable) transcripts and Institutional Recommendation Form to:
Teachers College, Columbia University
525 W. 120th Street
New York, NY 10027
Do NOT send materials via FedEx.
Use USPS or UPS and request a form of delivery tracking (e.g. certified mail, delivery confirmation).
Please condense materials to a single mailing if at all possible.
Application Deadline: January 15, 2015
Once your application for admission has been submitted to Teachers College, please be certain to complete both the 2014 – 2015 and 2015 – 2016 FAFSA applications. The institutional code for Teachers College is G03979. Please be certain to select Teachers College; do not select Columbia University.
Pathways to the Degree
Summer Principals Academy offers students two pathways to the Master's
Degree in Education Leadership. Admitted students who enter the
program with a minimum of 24 credits of previously earned graduate
coursework pursue the 60-credit Master of Education. The Master of Arts
pathway is designed for admitted students who do not possess 24
previously earned graduate credits at the time of matriculation. Please
be certain to indicate, based on previously acquired graduate
coursework, the degree program to which you are applying.
Application Review Process