Application Requirements and Procedures
- Possess a vision of learning that promotes the success of all students;
- Demonstrates the ability to set goals and establish benchmarks to assess progress;
- Acts consistently with integrity and fairness to ensure that all stakeholders are treated respectfully;
- Demonstrates a belief that all stakeholders play a critical role in facilitating student achievement;
- Possesses the ability to thrive in high-pressure environments;
- Applies creativity, passion, and endurance to adaptive challenges;
- Possesses self-reflective competencies, and eagerly pursues opportunities for personal and professional growth.
- Three years of full-time paid teaching experience;
- Current position in a public school setting; Please Note: The Summer Principals Academy cannot place non-employed educators in Administrative Internships. If you are currently teaching, it is your responsibility to secure an endorsement from your school building leader to conduct your administrative internship at the school site.
- Commitment to serving as a leader in a public school setting;
- Demonstrated track record of success as an urban school educator;
- Minimum of one year of leadership experience (may include formal and informal roles);
- Institutional Endorsement Form
- An Online Application: Please be reminded that the code for the Summer Principals Academy is ELBL. Directions for completing the application can be found here.
- A Professional Resume
- Transcripts from all post-secondary institutions from where you received academic credit
- Two professional letters of recommendation
- A thoughtful Statement of Purpose that addresses the following: (1) Please describe any formal or informal leadership experiences you have held, and what you have learned from these positions, and (2) Why do you believe SPA could be an appropriate program for furthering your leadership skills?
- Institutional Endorsement Form (see note above)
- Please Note: The GRE is not required for admission to SPA
Submission of Application Materials
If submitting official transcripts, please mail them to:
Teachers College, Columbia University
525 W. 120th Street
New York, NY 10027
Do NOT send materials via FedEx.
Use USPS or UPS and request a form of delivery tracking (e.g. certified mail, delivery confirmation).
Application Deadline: January 15, 2016.
The application for the 2016 cohort will be available in September.
Once your application for admission has been submitted to Teachers College, please be certain to complete both the 2015 – 2016 and 2016 – 2017 FAFSA applications. The institutional code for Teachers College is G03979. Please be certain to select Teachers College; do not select Columbia University.
Pathways to the Degree
Summer Principals Academy offers students two pathways to the Master's
Degree in Education Leadership. Admitted students who enter the
program with a minimum of 24 credits of previously earned graduate
coursework pursue the 60-credit Master of Education. The Master of Arts
pathway is designed for admitted students who do not possess 24
previously earned graduate credits at the time of matriculation. Please
be certain to indicate, based on previously acquired graduate
coursework, the degree program to which you are applying.
Application Review Process
Upcoming Events: Fall 2015
Check back mid-September to hear about our upcoming events!