- Ph.D., Social-Organizational Psychology, Teachers College, Columbia University
- B.A., Middle Eastern Studies, University Michigan
- Previously taught High School Science as a member of Teach for America in the 1990’s.
- Coaching Effectiveness
- Leadership Development
- Intercultural Communication
- Organization Change
Handbook of Conflict Resolution, 3rd edition (2014). Coauthored chapter titled, “Teaching Conflict Resolution in a Workshop.”
International Journal of Mentorship and Coaching (2012). Authored article titled, “Cognitive, Behavioral, and Affective Outcomes of a Coaching Program.”
Organizational Development Practitioner (2010). Authored award-winning article titled, “Organization History: Making the Construct Explicit in the Organization Change Literature.”
American Management Association (2007). Coauthored book titled, “The Nature of Leadership: Mammals, Reptiles and the Challenge of Becoming a Great Leader.”
- Keynote speaker. Invited to present empirical coaching research findings to the Coaching Hudson Institute Conference in 2011.
- Radio appearances. Invited as a leadership expert on numerous radio stations in Chicago, Phoenix, and Memphis after co-authoring a self-help leadership development book.
- Adjunct Coach at Center for Creative Leadership
- Partner at C Global Consulting
- Managing Director at LeaderNation
- Fellow at Oxford Leadership Academy
Select Change Management & Training Accomplishments
- International Technology Company. Helped CEO and founder of an international technology company to increase awareness of how his strengths and weaknesses were impacting his executive team, as well as the culture of his 200+ employee organization.
- Global Organization. Continually delivered collaborative communications program for hundreds of professional staff over the past four years in various duty stations worldwide including Nairobi, Geneva and New York.
- Commercial Construction Company. Assisted the creation and launch of a tailored 360 degree feedback instrument for the executive team of one of the largest and fastest growing grading and pavement maintenance companies in the country.
- Educational Institution. Facilitated a “Healthy Leader” 360 degree feedback assessment for over 150 focal leaders of America’s largest network of charter schools.
- International Law Firm. Conducted a 2-year evaluation of a coaching program for an international law firm finding evidence that coaching, (1) enhanced self-awareness of strengths and weaknesses, (2) enhanced job satisfaction, and (3) improved communication skills.
- International Advocacy Organization. Authored 100-page evaluation, including strategic recommendations to improve the high-potential leaders program for the world’s premier child advocacy organization.
- Global Development Network. Helped facilitate gathering of 200+ professional staff at an off-site retreat where live simulations helped the organization determine inefficiencies and best practices.
- Public Works Organization. Facilitated a series of department meetings for foreman and crews to constructively address interpersonal conflicts, clear the air, and develop an action-plan for the future. Results include improved role clarity, enhanced communication systems, and increased satisfaction.
- International Technology Company. Co-facilitated a series of 9 monthly sessions for managers to enhance their ability to collaborate effectively across functions including sales, IT, analytics, and inventory.
- Municipal Government. Conducting professional development training for approximately 100 employees of a municipality including Police Chief and Directors of Utilities, Parks and Recreation, and Public Works.
Select Coaching Accomplishments
- Insurance Organization. Coached area CFO responsible for servicing 250,000 customers and $1 billion in revenue to develop a strategy to improve his relationship with his supervisor and peers.
- Retail Organization. Coached VP of global infrastructure (responsible for 80 indirect reports and $23M operating budget) to manage his instinct to dominate, and productively leverage his passion for perfection.
- Federal Governmental Agency. Individually coached one dozen leaders in Boston, New York and Washington D.C., including Regional Director, to help identify and address key blind spots.
- Advanced Wastewater Treatment Plant. Coached director who was managing conflict between his operators and maintenance staff.
- Borough Manager. Coached chief executive of a municipal government as she led a major change management initiative that balanced numerous stakeholder interests including elected officials.
- Community Mental Health Center. Coached executive director to increase awareness of how his personal role definition both supported and limited his ability to meet the organization’s demands placed on him.
- American Learning Organization. Evaluated the effectiveness of a coaching technique called goal attainment scaling by providing coaching to 50 participants including a control group. Findings indicated that participants who received coaching performed approximately 30% better than those who did not, after goal difficulty was accounted for.
ORLJ 5046: Intercultural communications in organizational contexts: Theory, issues, and practices
This class is designed to explore the intercultural communication field and what it has to offer professional educators in the context of their understanding of intercultural theory and practice and in their ability to design effective and empathic learning environments.
ORLJ 5340: Basic Practicum in conflict resolution
Enrollment limited. Students will be trained in the basic skills of collaborative negotiation and mediation and will have supervised practice in these skills.