Catherine Marie Box
Ed.M. in Applied Linguistics, Columbia University.
M.A. in English Literature, West Chester University.
A.B. in English/French, Muhlenberg College.
Box, C.D., Creider, S.C., & Waring, H.Z. (2013). Talk in the second and foreign language classroom: A review of the literature. Journal of Contemporary Foreign Language Studies, 396(12), 86-97.
Waring, H.Z., Creider, S.C., & Box, C.D. (2013). Explaining vocabulary in the second language classroom: A conversation analytic account. Learning, Culture, & Social Interaction.
Kieffer, M.J., & Box, C.D. (2013). Derivational morphological awareness, academic vocabulary, and reading comprehension in linguistically diverse sixth graders. Learning & Individual Differences, 24, 168-175.
Box, C.D. (2012). Embodied (non)participation in a tutoring session. Special Issue of Language and Information Society, 16. 79-108.
Box, C.D. (2011). Microanalyzing discourse in the second and foreign language classrooms: A review of the literature. Working Papers in TESOL & Applied Linguistics, 11(2), 1-14.
Box, C.D. (2011). [Review of Wong, J., & Waring, H.Z. (2010). Conversation analysis and second language pedagogy.] Working Papers in TESOL & Applied Linguistics, 11(1), 67-71.
Box, C.D. (2009). [Review of Duff, P.A. (2008). Case Study Research in Applied Linguistics.] Working Papers in TESOL & Applied Linguistics, 9(1), 1-5.
Box, C.D. & Boblett, N. (2012). Guest Editor of Forum on Applying conversation analysis to real-world concerns. In Working Papers in TESOL & Applied Linguistics, 12(1).
Box, C.D. & Creider, S.C. (2008) Guest Editor of Forum on Festschrift in honor of Professor Leslie M. Beebe. In Working Papers in TESOL & Applied Linguistics, 8(2).
Box, C.D. (2010). Contributor to Forum on Text and context: The role of Context in Discourse Analysis, Working Papers in TESOL & Applied Linguistics, 10(1), 46-48.
• Editor of Working Papers in TESOL & Applied Linguistics, web journal of the TESOL & Applied Linguistics Program at Columbia University Teachers College. 2012-present.
• Co-chair of The 2nd Annual Meeting of the Language and Social Interaction Working Group (LANSI) at Columbia University Teachers College. Fall 2012.
• Book Review Editor, Working Papers in TESOL & Applied Linguistics. 2011-2012.
• Student representative for search committee for Assistant Professor of Linguistics & Education at Columbia University Teachers College. 2009-2010.
• Proposal reviewer for International TESOL Conventions, 2010-2011.
• Examiner and evaluator for the baccalaureat blanc. Lycée Simone Weil, Paris, France. 2005.
• Textbook selection committee for composition classes, West Chester University, 1999.
• Travel grants for conferences, Department of Arts & Humantities at Columbia University Teachers College.
• Phi Beta Kappa.
• Omicron Delta Kappa.
• Phi Sigma Iota award for excellence in foreign languages, Muhlenberg College.
• Howard Stengher award for graduate study in literature, Muhlenberg College.
• Paul C. Scherr award for best essay written by a graduating student, Muhlenberg College.
A&HT 4077: TESOL Classroom practices
Introduction to the major language teaching approaches that have been influential in the 20th century. Special fee: $15.
A&HL 4101: Phonetics and phonology
An examination of the sound and orthographic systems of English, with reference to other languages and problems of learning and teaching English.
A&HL 4104: Discourse analysis
Prerequisite: A&HL 4085. Introduction to spoken and written discourse analysis with an overview of various approaches. Development of transcription skills with application of teaching and research.
A&HT 4500: Advanced English language study
Developmental ESL for non-native speakers of English who wish to improve their academic writing and speaking skills; emphasis on writing research papers or giving oral presentations in graduate seminars or other professional venues. Topics and emphasis change each term. Course may be taken more than once. Limit 1 point toward TESOL or Applied Linguistics degree. Special fee: $15.