Getting to Teachers CollegeYou can get to Teachers College By Taxi, SuperShuttle, Bus, or Subway. Unfortunately, at this time Teachers College is unable to meet incoming students at arrival.
The most convenient but also the most expensive way to get to Teachers College from the airports is by taxi. New York City 'yellow' taxis operate throughout New York with service to LaGuardia and JFK International airports. New Jersey taxis provide service into Manhattan from Newark Liberty International Airport.
- From LaGuardia Airport the fare is approximately $30, not including tolls. The fare will be shown on a meter inside the taxi.
- From JFK International Airport the "flat rate" (meter off) is $45, not including tolls
- From Newark Airport the "flat rate"is $35-$50, depending on the time of day and your destination in New York City. A taxi stand operator will provide you with precise fare information.
This fare covers all passengers in the car. There is no additional charge for luggage; however, the bridge or tunnel toll (approximately $6) must be paid by the passenger, and a 15-20% tip is customary for good service. (The toll and tip are not included in the amount shown on the meter).
In order to avoid problems, take only yellow metered taxicabs, which can be found at the taxi stand outside the terminal. Do not accept offers for taxi or car service from within the terminal. Write down the name and license number of the taxi driver (displayed at the front of the cab, near the meter) in case you have any complaints about the service or the fare. Ask for a receipt; the license number is recorded on it.
One way fare to NYC/ NJ is about $21-$30 (shared Ride Van service) depend on location. Reserve a pick up by calling 800-258-3826 or go on line for pick up from airport to your home or school:
A relatively inexpensive way to get to Teachers College from the New York area airports is to take an express bus to Port Authority Bus Terminal at 42nd Street and 8th Avenue, and from there proceed to the school by bus, taxi or subway.
- From JFK International Airport: Take the New York Airport Service Express Bus to Port Authority. Check their web site for up-to-date fare and schedule information. Inquire about purchasing a ticket and where to board the bus at an airport information booth.
- From LaGuardia Airport: Take the New York Airport Service Express Bus to Port Authority.
- From Newark International Airport: Take the Olympia Airport Express Bus from the airport to Port Authority. Check their web site for up-to-date fare information
You can purchase a Metrocard at subway or train stations to access any subway or bus in New York City. Metrocards are easy to use and allow you to transfer for free from bus to bus or subway to bus (and vice versa) within two hours of your first ride. Metrocards ($3.00 or more; discounts apply over $15) are sold at all subway booths and at many other locations around the city.
- Bus: Take the M104 bus (Metrocard or $2.00 in exact change, coins only) going uptown (north) on 8th Avenue. Get off at the West 120th Street stop and you are at Teachers College, which occupies the block from 120th to 121st Street, between Broadway and Amsterdam Avenue, on the Upper West Side of Manhattan. (Signal the driver to stop by touching the strip or pulling the cord on the wall of the bus before reaching 120th Street.)
- Subway: Take the #1 or #9 subway Uptown to the 116th Street stop. The subway is accessible from inside Port Authority. Follow signs to the #1/9 (red line). Purchase a Metrocard or subway token ($1.50 - exact change not required) at the booth. Get off at 116th Street (there are signs for Columbia University). Once on the street, continue walking north on Broadway to 120th Street. Turn right (east) on 120th Street.
- Taxi: A taxi from Port Authority will cost you from $12 to $16. This fare, which is shown on the meter, covers luggage and all passengers in the car. An additional 15% tip is customary. Take only yellow cabs which can be found at the taxi stand on 8th Avenue. (See Taxi information above for advice on taxis.)
By Subway (from JFK International)
Take the AirTrain from your arrival terminal at JFK International to either the Howard Beach or Jamaica Station stop. You will need to pay a $5 AirTrain fee upon arriving at either stop, as well as a $2 Metrocard for the subway.
From Howard Beach, you can take the "A" train to 125th Street / Harlem (approximately 1 hour), or from Jamaica Station take the "E" train to 42nd Street Times Square, and transfer directly to the uptown "1" train to West 116th Street, Columbia University.
Subway information can be found at http://www.mta.info/