Faculty and Staff Ombuds
|Erwin Flaxman, Ph.D. |
Ombuds of the College
Room 280 Grace Dodge
Monday - Thursday by appointment
The College Ombuds is a resource available to students, staff, and faculty for resolving problems and conflicts after normal processes have not worked satisfactorily, or when they no longer want to pursue their concerns through normal channels. Community members can meet with the Ombuds when they do not know where else to go to for help. They should, however, attempt to resolve their problems or register complaints with their advisors, instructors, supervisors, or staff of College offices before coming to the Ombuds.
All parties involved in an issue or the resolution of a problem or dispute are instructed to cooperate with the Ombuds.
The Office of the Ombuds adheres to all policies and practices of Teachers College and to standards of professional practice.
The Ombuds will:
- Provide needed information about policies and procedures for dealing with a problem.
- Investigate the complaint and gather information.
- Create lines of communication and convene meetings, if necessary, for resolving an individual's problem. Please note: The Ombuds will always act as a neutral party.
- Identify a problem that requires changes in College policies and procedures.
All conversations with the Ombuds are strictly confidential* and will not be discussed with anyone without your permission in writing, nor may anyone compel the Ombuds to reveal any information. *Excluding sexual harassment
Impartiality and Independence
The Ombuds is an advocate for the solution of the problem, not for any involved party and gives equal attention and protects the rights of all concerned parties.
The Ombuds is available throughout the week by appointment.
Adapted from University Ombudsman and ADA Administrator. Copyright 1999 by the Reader and Visitors, University of Virginia.
Links To Other Student Services
- Office of Access and Services for Individuals with Disabilities
- Office of the Associate Dean for Academic Administration
- Office of the Associate Dean for Student Services and Enrollment Management
- Office of the Vice President for Diversity and Community Affairs