TC Room Assignment Policies & Procedures
Room usage at Teachers College is reserved for the business of the College. The Office of Room Assignments handles reservations and assignment of rooms for events and activities of the College for temporary usage of rooms (e.g., classes, meetings, etc.). Assignment of space is limited at the College and priority is given to assignment of rooms for academic classes.
This policy statement only applies to space that the Office of Room Assignments reserves. (The assignment and usage of space in the Gottesman Libraries, Gordon Campus and the residence halls is not under the purview of the Office of Room Assignments.) The Everett Lounge has been designated a social space by the Student Senate and President Susan Fuhrman. It is not assigned by Room Assignments.
Room assignments may be requested by faculty, staff and students in the College and in some instances, by affiliated institutions.
- Rooms must be used for College business only and are not available for personal use.
- All events that have participants under age 18 must notify room assignments.
Users of Space
- Academic Activities (Classes, breakout rooms for classes, class meetings)
- Department Activities
- TC run meetings and events (Meetings and events primarily attended by TC members, i.e., TC faculty, students and staff)
- Events with affiliated professional groups/organizations that are co-sponsored by TC.
- TC work related meetings and events run for TC staff
- TC run programs
- Events with affiliated professional groups/organizations that are sponsored/hosted by TC.
- Student Activities (Events conducted by approved student organizations as determined by the Office of Student Activities and Programs)
- Academic Related Activities
- Meetings and events to satisfy degree requirements (e.g., music recitals)
- Meeting space for study groups
- Doctoral Dissertation Defenses and Proposal Hearings
- Events must be sponsored or co-sponsored by the Department of External Affairs and Alumni Relations (DEA)
- Alumni may not request rooms for non-college business
- Affiliates – Barnard College and Columbia University
- Academic Classes
- Student events approved and signed off by respective CU/BC Student Activities and Student Life office and the TC Office of Student Activities and Programs
- Room request for outside or other events are not accepted
- Affiliates – Jewish Theological Seminary and Union Theological Seminary
- No granted space unless approved by Senior Staff
- Outside Organizations
- Will not be granted space unless an exception has been granted in writing by Senior Staff and meets the criteria that is consistent with the mission of TC
Co-sponsored and sponsored events must be approved and confirmed in writing with the sponsored department. Once confirmed, the event is approved and assigned college space.
Request a Room:
If you are a student, faculty or staff member of Teachers College and meet the above requirements to request a room at the college, complete the Room Request form online.