Guides and Tips
In the Residence Halls
- Always lock your door; even when you’re sleeping or just going down the hall.
- Do not allow strangers to enter your room or your complex. Do not open your door unless you can identify the person seeking entry.
- Do not let unknown individuals “tailgate;” ask who they are visiting and offer to call Public Safety.
- Do not prop any exterior doors open to allow unescorted visitors into the residence hall (pizza delivery, friends, etc.).
- Report lost or stolen residence hall keys immediately to your residence hall staff.
- Report any malfunctioning locks, doors or windows to your residence life staff.
- Do not leave your keys lying around in your room when you are not in the room. Do not leave messages on your door about when you will be returning to your room.
- Tell a roommate or friend if you are planning to be away overnight or for a few days.
- Report any suspicious persons or activities (including solicitors) in or near your residence hall to your residence hall staff, Public Safety or Police.
- Secure your valuables and engrave expensive items with identifying information.
- Always lock your doors and windows at night, especially if you reside on the first or second floors.
- Do not leave your identification, keys, wallets, checkbooks, or other valuables in open view.
- Get to know your RA, residence life staff and neighbors.