Skip to navigation menu

Skip to main content

Public Safety
Teachers College, Columbia University
teachers college logo columbia univertsity logo
Guides and Tips > What to Do, If you are a Victim of a Sexual Assault


Guides and Tips

What to Do, If you are a Victim of a Sexual Assault

Sexual assault victims are urged to take the following steps:

1. Get Medical Treatment

To get immediate medical treatment, call Public Safety at Ext. 3333 or 911.

It is important that a person who has been recently assaulted receive prompt medical attention to ensure that he/she is medically well. Because physical injury is not always noticeable at first, it is important to receive a medical examination and treatment as soon as possible. This may include screening and/or treatment for sexually transmitted dieases, infection and or emergency contraception if appropriate.
Sexual Violence Response and the Rape Crisis/Anti-Violence Support Center

Morningside - Columbia University
2920 Broadway, 700 Alfred Lerner Hall, New York, NY 10027
Barnard College
3009 Broadway, 105 Hewitt Hall, New York, NY 10027
Columbia University Medical Center
60 Haven Avenue , 206 Bard Hard, New York, NY 10032
Phone Numbers:
24/7/365 Advocates: (212) 854-HELP (4357)
Morningside: (212) 854-HELP (4357)
CUMU: (212) 305-1721

2. Report the Sexual Assault

The safety and well-being of survivors are of paramount importance. The University strongly encourages survivors to contact trained professionals for emotional support, medical services, and advocacy with reporting and or the criminal justice system.

Contact options include:

Public Safety

TC Public Safety 212-678-3333

CU Public Safety (Morningside) 212-854-5555

Barnard 212-854-3362

New York City Police Department

Community Assistant or Area Director of TC Residential Services

TC Director of Student Relations

TC Office of the Associate Vice-Provost

The CU Rape Crisis/Anti-Violence Support Center

A medical treatment facility

A trusted friend, adviser, or faculty member

The College urges victims to consider contacting the New York City Police Department to report the assault. Public Safety and/or Residential Services personnel will assist and accompany the victim every step of the way through the process. Although the College strongly encourages pressing criminal charges, it respects the victim’s choice.

3. Counseling Psychological Services

Columbia University and its affiliated colleges offer a variety of counseling resources to victims of a sexual assault. For more information on the full range of supportive services, contact the CU Sexual Violence Prevention and Response Program at 212-854-2878

4. File an Internal Complaint within the College

If the individual accused of a violation of the College’s Sexual Assault Policy is a Teachers College or Columbia University student, an internal complaint may be filed. Reports of an alleged sexual assault by a student of Teachers College or Columbia University should be filed with:

Student Services for Gender-based and Sexual Misconduct

Columbia University

108C Wien Hall


The full policy and procedure can viewed on line at:

If the individual accused is a faculty member, staff member or administrator of Teachers College the complaint should be filed with:

The Office of the Vice President for Diversity and Community Affairs

128 Zankel Hall


The full policy and procedure can viewed on line at:

Please refer to the TC Annual Campus Security and Fire Safety Report (page 32) for more information.and a complete list of counseling and support services