International Students | Teachers College Columbia University

Skip to content Skip to main navigation
Skip to content


Through its four core areas of expertise - health, education, leadership, and psychology - Teachers College prepares educators, psychologists, policy makers and planners for the challenges they will face in their careers.
Skip to content

International Students

International Applicants

  1. In addition to the standard application documents, International students are required to submit a transcript evaluation (see below) and an English proficiency exam (see below), depending on where they completed their bachelor's degree.
  2. In order to be eligible for admission, International students must hold, or be in the process of obtaining, the equivalent of a U.S. baccalaureate degree.
  3. All applicants are expected to collect and prepare international educational credentials well in advance of the application deadline. Incomplete records will not be reviewed.
  4. Do NOT submit bank statements, proof of funds, or photocopies of passports with application materials.  Financial documents will not need to be submitted until students are admitted and applying for visas.
  5. Any documentation not issued in English must be accompanied by a notarized English translation.

International Transcripts

All transcripts, both undergraduate and graduate (if applicable), from institutions outside the US or Canada, must receive a course-by-course evaluation to determine U.S. equivalency of a bachelor's degree. Please see the below instructions for obtaining this evaluation. Domestic students who obtained their bachelor's degrees outside of the US or Canada must also obtain this evaluation. Note, this does not pertain to students from the US and Canada spending a semester or year abroad, i.e. "student abroad."

  1. We will accept evaluations from the following agencies:
    • World Education Services, Inc. (WES)
    • Educational Credential Evaluators (ECE)
    • American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admission Officers (AACRAO)
      *If you have already completed an evaluation from a different agency, please contact the Office of Admission to confirm whether or not we can accept the evaluation. For admission purposes, evaluations must include degree(s) equivalency to a U.S. degree (if any), all coursework, grades and credits earned for each course and periods of enrollment.
  2. We require a course-by-course evaluation from one of the above credentialing services.  Note that WES, AACRAO and ECE provide several types of evaluations. Select the course-by-course evaluation option to ensure your evaluation meets our requirements for admission review.
  3. Once submitted to Teachers College, the evaluation becomes an official academic record and sole property of Teachers College upon its receipt.
  4. Evaluations will be reviewed by Teachers College administrators and the determination of degree equivalency to U.S. degrees is at the discretion of Teachers College.

English Proficiency

If you received your baccalaureate (undergraduate) degree from an institution where English is not the sole official language of instruction, you must submit official scores from one of the below accepted English proficiency exam. In order to be considered official, scores must be sent directly from the testing administrator and have been taken within the past 2 years.

    minimum score requirement: 100 internet based (IBT) 600 paper-base exam (PBT)
  • IELTS:
    minimum score requirement: 7.0

Note: Teaching of English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) and Applied Linguistics have different score requirements, refer to the program website for details.

Visa Information

  1. If you require a student visa to attend Teachers College, you will be provided with instructions and information after you have been officially admitted.
  2. TC does not provide student visa sponsorship for non-degree students. An international student must gain acceptance into a degree program to receive a student visa (F1/J1) through TC. A non-degree student must make her/his own arrangements for immigration/visa status.
  3. Do NOT send bank statements, passport copies, or other visa related documents to the Office of Admission.
  4. If you have been invited by current TC faculty to collaborate on research, OR a TC faculty is your dissertation advisor, please contact the Office of International Services for more information on the visa application process.
  5. We strongly encourage you to apply for admission as early as possible to allow time for visa processing. Please contact the Office of International Services for more information on the visa application process.