Skip to navigation menu

Skip to main content

Movement Science and Education
Teachers College, Columbia University
teachers college logo columbia univertsity logo
Frequently Asked Questions > General TC Questions

Site Navigation


General TC Questions

What is the size and format of the classes?

Courses within the Movement Science program are usually 8-20 students in size. Classes are small enough to promote student interaction and discussion. Some out of department lecture courses can be larger depending on the course and content of the class.

How many credits do I have to take per semester?

"Full-time''status is accorded to students registered for 12 or more semester points perterm. Students enrolled for fewer than 12 semester points (0-11 semesterpoints) are considered "part-time.''

How can I maintain full-time status,with less than 12 points per semester?

Students taking fewer than 12semester points in a term may be certified as full-time if they can present anapproved Certificate of Equivalency (COE) form (

As an international student, how many credits do I haveto take to maintain my visa status (e.g. F1 student visa)?

International students on a student visa (e.g., F1) are required to pursue a full course loadduring the autumn and spring semesters. There are no course load requirementsduring the summer semester.

When are classes held?

With a fewexceptions, all classes take place in the evening from 5:10 PM – 6:50 PM, and from7:20 PM – 9:00 PM (Monday till Thursday; no classes on Friday). Typically,during the Spring and Fall semesters, one class (of 1 hour 40 minutes) a weekis held for a 3-points course. In addition, each class required self-study time(e.g., 6 – 8 hours a week, or more, for a 3-points course).

Is health insurance available?

Yes, health insurance is available. Full time students must prove they have health insurance or otherwise enroll in the university plan. Insurance is available to part-time students. During registration all students have the option to enroll. More information about the plans are available through the Office of Student Activities.

Is housing available?

Teachers college does have subsidized housing. It is recommended that if housing is needed that students apply as far in advance as possible as space is limited. International students are given consideration first. More information can be obtained from the Office of Residential Services. Students may also wish to consider the nearby International House, a vibrant community of more than 700 graduate students and trainees who represent more than 100 countries.  

What is the student body composition in the Department of Biobehavioral Sciences?

Our department has students from the New York metropolitan area, as well as from all over the United States. We also have quite a few international students from numerous countries, including: Austria, Taiwan, South Korea, India, Switzerland, Israel, and Greece. Both foreign and domestic students are encouraged to apply.

What are the educational backgrounds of the students in the Department of Biobehavioral Sciences?

Students come from a variety of backgrounds. Currently we have physical therapists, occupational therapists, speech therapists, teachers, and physical education professionals, exercise physiologists, personal fitness consultants, nutritionists and others interested in movement. All backgrounds are considered and encouraged to apply.

Is it recommended students visit the program?

Yes, we strongly encourage all potential students to come and visit the department.  This allows the future student to meet the current students and meet some of the faculty. We encourage students to visit on a Thursday so that they may sit in on a research seminar as well.

When are new students accepted into the college/program?  

Students are accepted for all semesters of study, so course work can begin in the fall, spring or summer. We have a rolling admissions policy-there is no deadline. Students may also enroll in up to 8 credits before matriculating, with all credits being applied toward the degree. It is recommended that prospective students apply as early as possible to be considered for financial aid and housing, if desired.

Can I park at Teachers College? Is there public transportation?

There are several parking lots near campus. Meters are available on city streets, however they are subject to NYC parking rules and regulations. TC is easily accessible by bus M4 and M104 and subway (1). A ride board also exists within the commuter's lounge.

Is the surrounding area safe?

Morningside heights is among the police districts with the lowest crime rate in New York City. The area is full of activity at all hours of the day and night, and it is well patrolled.

What is unique about the Movement Science Program?

We are very unique in that we approach the study of movement from a multi-disciplinary perspective. There is a strong emphasis on the neural bases of movement control and the study of functional movements. We also offer complimentary studies involving both basic and applied (e.g., rehabilitation) areas. We are in a top ranked school of graduate education, have a long history of excellence in the profession, and have extremely high student satisfaction evaluations. Graduates of the program hold leadership positions in their respective fields. Teachers College is a top-ranked school of education, psychology and health, and our program is among the best in the US.