Occupational Therapy Questions | Movement Science and Education | Biobehavioral Sciences

Skip to content Skip to main navigation
Teachers College, Columbia University
Printer-friendly Version
Teachers College, Columbia University Logo
Movement Science and Education

Movement Science and Education

Department of Biobehavioral Sciences

Occupational Therapy Questions

The OT specialization is a new collaborative effort with the Occupational Therapy program faculty at Columbia University. Approximately half the course work is taken at Teachers College and half in the Occupational Therapy program. Unlike the other three specializations, there is only an EdD degree (no Masters or PhD degrees are awarded). Student research is generally supervised by Occupational Therapy program faculty.

Yes, students in the doctoral program must possess a Masters of Occupational Therapy degree and have clinical experience. The EdD does not lead to certification as an Occupational Therapist.

No. Occupational Therapists may be eligible for any of the specializations. The choice of which specialization largely depends on the student's research interest. Students interested in Motor Learning, biomechanics, neural control of movement, for example, should consider the Motor Learning and Control specialization, where a number of students presently are OTs.

This specialization is a unique opportunity for Occupational Therapists that incorporates the study of neuromotor and physiological function as it relates to participation in daily life. It takes advantage of resources and faculty expertise from two programs ranked in the top 10 in their fields.

Several faculty members in the OT program and Movement Sciences and Education program have an EdD degree. Graduates with this degree have gone on to become leaders in their respective field. Individual credentials and who you work with are the primary factors that make one competitive for faculty positions.

  • Apply
  • Request Info