1098-T Mailing Notice | Teachers College Columbia University

Skip to content Skip to main navigation
Teachers College, Columbia University
Printer-friendly Version
Teachers College, Columbia Univeristy Logo

Office of the Bursar

1098-T Mailing Notice

December 7, 2015

Dear Students,

The 2015 tax year is coming to an end. Before you know it, it will be time to file your 2015 tax return.

The Taxpayer Relief Act of 1997 allows certain taxpayers who pay qualified tuition and related expenses to an eligible educational institution to claim an American Opportunity Credit or a Lifetime Learning Credit against their federal income tax liability.

Beginning in 2002, a Deduction for Higher Education Expenses was established. Low and Middle income individuals may elect to claim these tax credits or deduction for tuition expenses incurred by students pursuing college, graduate degrees or vocational training.

For more information visit the IRS Tax Benefits for Education: Information Center at http://www.irs.gov/uac/Tax-Benefits-for-Education:-Information-Center.

During the last week of January 2016, students eligible to receive a Tuition Statement (1098-T) will receive it by mail to their permanent mailing address. The information provided on this statement is for the period between January 1, 2015 and December 31, 2015. To view the permanent address we have for you on our system, follow these steps:

  1. Please visit the following web site at http://my.tc.edu.
  2. Click on the TC Services tab.
  3. Click on the Update Addresses and Phones link under Personal Information.

All 1098-T address changes must be made no later than December 31, 2015. Address changes for documents such as W-2s, transcripts, grade information, etc. must be handled through a “Change of Information” form, which can be obtained in the Office of the Registrar, or on the web: http://www.tc.columbia.edu/registrar.

The IRS does not require us to prepare a form for Non-Residential Aliens (NRA), unless requested. Please contact the Office of the Bursar if you would like to receive a 1098-T statement.

Note: Teachers College can not provide individual tax advice and shall not be liable for damages of any kind in connection with this information. Accordingly, you should consult your tax adviser about your specific circumstances. Sincerely, Office of the Bursar


Office of the Bursar