Frequently Asked Questions
- What types of services, programs and resources does TCCS offer?TCCS can assist you with your career development throughout the duration of your time at Teachers College. Whether you are entering a new field, advancing within your current profession, or changing direction we will help you identify and develop the skills and resources needed to achieve your career goals.
Career services include career counseling appointments to help you make informed decisions about your career goals, job search guidance and interview preparation. A resume, cover letter, and curriculum vita (CV) review service, an online Alumni Mentoring & Career Networking database as well as mock interviews. We offer general career development workshops on topics such as resume/cover letter, job search/networking, general interviewing, and salary negotiation. We also host employer information sessions and career fairs. In addition, our programs and events offers specialized programs, such as career panels, networking events, and on-campus interviews. Please check our website (www.tc.edu/careerservices) for an up-to-date Calendar of Events and room locations.
The TCCS website includes an extensive listing of internet resources, which are organized by industry and academic department that contain useful information for your job search and career planning needs as well as numerous tip sheets, career guides and career document templates. TCCS LINK, accessed directly through My TC Portal, is a comprehensive website that houses our online job posting and recruitment program, sample power point workshop presentations, and detailed information on our workshops, programs, and events. Finally, our services will also be available and accessible to you following your graduation from Teachers College, which you can access as an alumni/a.
- How can I set up a career counseling appointment?Call us at (212) 678-3140 to set up an appointment. We are available for individual appointments -- either in person or by phone -- to assist you with your career development needs. We also offer the Strong Interest Inventory and the Myers Briggs Type Indicat or (MBTI) to help you assess your career interests and skills (assessment tools are available for a nominal fee). All counseling sessions are confidential.
- Does Career Services offer walk-in hours?In addition to scheduled appointments, students can briefly meet with a counselor for quick 15 minute counseling session. Seek advice and assistance during our weekly walk-in hours. The walk-in hours are on Mondays from 4:00-6:00 p.m. and on Wednesdays from 3:00-5:00 p.m. during the academic year on a first come, first serve basis. Walk-in hours are available from Memorial Day to Labor Day. During July on Wednesdays from 4:00-6:00 p.m. and in August on Mondays from 3:00-5:00 p.m. and Wednesdays from 4:00-6:00 p.m.
- How do I submit my resume, CV, or cover letter for review?TCCS has many methods of assisting you with your career related documents. You can make an appointment with a counselor to review your resume, CV, or cover letter in person, utilize our walk in hours, or have them reviewed in your absence by emailing them to email@example.com. If you elect to have your documents reviewed in your absence, they will be returned to you within eight business days.
- What is the Alumni Mentoring & Career Networking Program?Many TC alumni have generously volunteered their time to serve as resources for current students. This program provides students with an opportunity to meet and speak with professionals in various career fields, develop their career plans, and gain "real world" perspectives about possible professions and industries. Once you have registered for classes, you can visit TCCS LINK to search the online database of alumni contacts and mentors.
- Can you tell me more about the online job search engine and recruitment program?TCCS has a partnership with TCCS LINK, which allows employers to promote career opportunities exclusively to TC students and alumni. Once you register for classes, you will have access to TCCS LINK, which will help to facilitate the job search and interview process for you. You can access this resource in My TC Portal. Go to the TC Services Tab and click on the "go to TCCS LINK" within the TCCS LINK box. If you need assistance using this resource, our staff is available for one-on-one tutorials.
- What is the difference between TCCS LINK Job Postings and Interview Schedules & Resume Drops?You will find both of these services on the TCCS LINK website once you complete your registration and user profile. Job Postings is a search engine that allows you to search for full-time/part-time opportunities, internships and volunteer experiences posted exclusively for TC Students and Alumni. Search thousands of jobs employers post through a national job stream sponsored by TCCS LINK.
Interview Schedules & Resume Drops is part of the Teachers College Campus Recruitment Program that allows you to submit your resume online for campus and employer site interviews, sign up for campus interviews, and participate in resume collections for employer site recruitment.
- How do I register for TCCS LINK?To register and create your user profile, please visit My TC Portal and select the TC Services tab at the top of your homepage. Within the TC Services page, go to the Career Services heading and register for TCCS LINK by clicking on “TCCS Recruiting Services Agreement”. It takes 24 hours for your information to be sent to TCCS LINK once you have electronically signed the agreement. To access TCCS Link, please return to the TC Services tab within My TC Portal and on the right hand side, click on “Go to TCCS LINK” within the TCCS LINK box. You will be prompted to complete your profile and will be directed to your TCCS LINK homepage. The next time you sign into TCCS LINK from My TC Portal, you will be automatically directed to your TCCS LINK homepage. You must have a UNI ID and password in order to access My TC Portal. If you do not know your UNI ID and/or password, please go here and follow the instructions provided. Please note: Only TC students and alumni are eligible to access TCCS LINK. You will not be able to access TCCS LINK until you have completed the TCCS Recruiting Services Agreement form and profile in TCCS LINK.
- What kinds of Career Fairs does TCCS host?Career Services sponsors and co-sponsors several Career Fairs throughout the academic year. Visit our website or stop by the office to find out more about the following events.
◦ Meet the Firms Networking Event
◦ Human Resources/Organizational Development Career Fair
◦ All Ivy Environmental and Sustainable Development Career Fair
◦ Not for Profit/ Public Sector Career Fair
◦ Tri-State Charter School Fair
◦ PreK-12 Education Career Fair
◦ Social Work Career Fair
◦ Media Networking Night
- What is a credential file?A credential file includes your letters of recommendation, certifications, or other documents that you may need to submit to employers or include in future graduate school applications. Career Services collaborates with INTERFOLIO.COM in order to provide students and alumni with a centralized and accessible location for these documents. Please visit Interfolio's website (www.interfolio.com) to set up your account.
- I am looking to continue my education after TC, what services does TCCS provide to help me?Deciding to continue your education is a big decision and requires significant investment of your time, energy, and resources. Our career counselors can discuss your options with you, guide you to informational resources regarding various schools and departments, and assist you with the application process through CV reviews, personal statement critiques, and mock interviews.
- What else do I need to know about Career Services?You should also know that we have a Career Resource Library in the TCCS office that contains career and job search guides, school directories, educational publications, and much more. We also have computers, printers and scanners available to facilitate students' career exploration, job search preparation, and resume and cover letter writing.