Questions to Ask the Interviewer(s)
Asking the employer questions reflects your motivation, interests, priorities, energy, etc. This is your opportunity to determine if this opportunity is right for you. Good questions related to the job to which you are applying. i.e. job duties and departmental goals. You should prepare 7-10 questions and ask the interviewer(s) 4 questions. Your last question can be: What is the next step in the process? You can bring in your list of questions, no need to memorize them!
Suggested questions to ask the employer:
- What is the most difficult part of the job? What types of challenges would I face in this position/department?
- How would you describe the working environment?
- How would you describe the management style of the area?
- What professional development opportunities are available to me in this department?
- What are the daily duties of the job? What would my typical day involve?
- Where would you place your priorities for the duties of this job?
- Would you describe the working culture?
- To whom would I directly report?
- How often would I be evaluated?
- What happened to the last person who held this position?
- What is the company’s policy about promotion from within? Opportunities for advancement?
- Does the company offer ongoing training/development for the employees?
- Is there travel (local/state/national) involved?
- What would be the most challenging aspect of this job?
- What would I like most about working for this company?
- Are there specific qualities that you look for in the people that you hire?
- What are the opportunities for personal growth?
- Describe the typical first year’s assignments.
- What is the company’s record of employment stability?
- How would you describe your company’s culture and the overall management style?
- What are your expectations of new hires?
- What qualities are you looking for in your new hires
- What is your timeframe for making a hiring decision?
Questions NOT to ask the employer:
- How many sick days can I claim as a new employee?
- Do I have to dress up in the office?
- How much will I be paid? (Salary questions should not be asked during the first interview)