International Conference on Chinese Education
February 6, 2003 (179 Grace Dodge Hall, Teachers College)
Reception & Registration (5.30 p.m. - 6.30 p.m.)
February 7, 2003 (179 Grace Dodge Hall, Teachers College)
Breakfast & Registration (8.15 a.m.-9.00 a.m.)
Opening of Conference (9.00 a.m. - 9.15 a.m.)
Session 1 (9.15 a.m. - 10.45 a.m.) Higher Education
Chair: Mun C. Tsang (Columbia University)
- "Chinese Universities: Historical Perspectives and Contemporary Challenges"
Weifang Min (Peking University) and Xiaohao Ding (Peking University)
- "Efficiency in Resource Allocation in an Expanding System of Higher Education"
Henry Levin (Columbia University)
- " Student Aids and Higher Education Access in China "
Xin Wei (Peking University) and Wenli Li (Peking University)
- "Financing of Higher Education: Issues and Policies"
Xiaohao Ding (Peking University)
Discussant: Philip Altbach (Boston College)
Coffee Break (10.45 a.m. - 11.00 a.m.)
Session 2 (11.00 a.m. - 12.15 p.m.) Primary and Secondary Education
Chair: Xin Wei (Peking University)
- "Financial Disparities and Intergovernmental Grants in Compulsory Education"
Mun Tsang (Columbia University)
- "School Equity in Rural China "
Albert Park (University of Michigan)
- "Education of Migrant Children: Negotiations between State and Civil Society"
Julia Kwong (University of Manitoba)
Discussant: Leslie Lo (Chinese University of Hong Kong)
Lunch (12.15 p.m. - 1.15 p.m.)
Session 3 (1.15 p.m. - 2.45 p.m.) Education and Development
Chair: Marla Brassard (Columbia University)
- "Cross and Within-Cultural Variations in Children's Mathematical Understanding of Distance, time, and Speed Interrelations: Evidence from China and the United States"
Stephen Peverly (Columbia University) and Zheng Zhou (St. John's University)
- "Education and Work: The Efficacy of Schooling on Human Resource Development in Three Regions in China "
Jin Xiao (Chinese University of Hong Kong), Leslie Lo (Chinese University of Hong Kong), and Manhong Lai (Chinese University of Hong Kong)
- "Children's Welfare in China : Access to Health Insurance & Education in the 1990s"
Emily Hannum (University of Pennsylvania), Jennifer Adams (Harvard Graduate School of Education)
- "Critical Issues Facing Chinese Education in the 21 st Century: Peace, Environment, and Reconstruction of Morality and Spirituality"
Jing Lin (University of Maryland)
Discussant: Lynn Paine (Michigan State University)
Coffee Break (2.45 p.m. - 3.00 p.m.)
Session 4 (3.00 p.m. - 4.15. p.m.) Presentations by Doctoral Students
Chair: Wallace Wang (Columbia University)
- "Compulsory Education in China 's Minority Districts: Underfunded or Favorably Financed?"
Yanqing Ding (Columbia University)
- "The Place They Call Home: The Influence of Communities on Children's Schooling"
Jennifer H. Adams (Harvard University)
- "Interpersonal Trust and Tolerance to Other People: Comparing the University-Educated in China and Taiwan"
Zhengxu Wang (University of Michigan)
- "Stratification Trends in Chinese Education"
Qiang Zha (University of Toronto)
End of Conference