Skip Navigation

Teachers College, Columbia University
Teachers College
Columbia University
Computing & Technology
Computing & Technology
Teachers College, Columbia University
Teachers College, Columbia University



Support and Training OLD * Support for Faculty & Staff

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

The Helpdesk maintains this list of the most frequently asked questions and their answers, which may help you resolve some of your computing and network problems. Check here before contacting the Helpdesk. There may be a quick solution to the problem you are experiencing. If the answer to your question is not posted on the site, please e-mail your question, or call us at 212-678-3300.


Last updated: September 2011









   TC Gmail FAQ


General FAQ

How do I acccess my network folders from off campus?


You can login to the File Server you use on campus from your web browser.  From Internet Explorer type: into the Address Bar. There will be a prompt for a user name and password.  Use your TC Account (generally your last name) and your password.  If when logged on, you do not see your Department's Network Folders, please contact the Helpdesk at  (Note: This feature does not work properly with browsers other than Internet Explorer. Mac users please see the Mac FAQ.)




It is recommended that important files for your department be stored on departmental fileshares. Files stored on shared drives are backed up automatically. We recommend the following methods for backing up files stored on your hard drive:

  • CD/DVD: All college owned computers are capable of writing CDs and DVD
  • USB Flash Drives: Every system has the ability to connect a flash drive to a USB port. These devices can break or get lost, so don't rely on them as your only backup solution.
  • External Hard Drive: For larger backup needs, you can purchase an external hard drive that will perform automatic backups at specified intervals
  • Connected Backup: Teachers College has partnered with Columbia to provide a fee-based backup solution for your PC or Mac. Connected Backup creates a secure, automated daily backup on a server hosted on the Columbia campus. This service is available at a cost of $50 per year. To enroll in this service, please email the helpdesk at More information is available here.



How do I map to a network drive?

Most network drives are mapped automatically if you have permission to access them. If you need access to a drive, obtain the full path from a colleague's computer. In Computer this is the whole line that accompanies the drive letter.
e.g. cis (\\tcdata\departments) (G:)

If you are certain that a network folder is not a standard mapped drive and that it needs to be added manually, then follow the directions below.

  1. Right click on Computer
  2. Select Map Network Drive...
  3. Select a drive letter (it does not matter what letter you choose)
  4. Type in the full path of your network folder
  5. Check or uncheck Reconnect at logon, depending on if you want this drive be permanent
  6. Click Finish



How do I install software?

All PCs and Macs set up by the helpdesk come preloaded with Microsoft Office, web browsers and other software that is routinely used in an office environment. If you find that you do not have a required program, you can inquire about its availabililty by calling Academic Computing at 212-678-3302.





Why can't I install a program?


You must be a local administrator on your computer to install software. Email the helpdesk with your computer name and username so that you can be added as an administrator.

To get your computer name, right click the Computer icon and select Properties. (On Windows XP machines, click the tab that says "Computer Name.") Type the computer name in the e-mail and request to be an administrator on your machine.

It is also possible that McAfee is blocking the software as a potential virus. Please verify the authenticity of the software and then call the helpdesk for assistance in temporarily disabling McAfee.





How can I connect to a network printer?

All network printers are set up on one print server: tcprint. The naming convention is "roomnumber_modelnumber". (For example, a Hewlett Packard Laserjet 4100 in 134 Thompson Hall would be named 134TH_HP4100). Mac users, please click here for instructions.

Access a server by doing the following:

  1. Click Start.
  2. Click Run.
  3. Type \\tcprint in the Open box and hit Enter or click OK.
  4. Find the printer name, double-click on it, and wait for a few seconds, and then the printer will be installed on your machine.




How do I change my TC network password?

From an on-campus Windows XP or Windows 7 computer, you can change your TC network account password by pressing Ctrl-Alt-Delete, which shows the current logon information and has a Change Password option. For additional assistance, click here.






\What should I do when I get a pop-up message from McAfee alerting me to a virus?

If the message states that a file or e-mail was quarantined, then click on OK. The file was quarantined and no further action is required.

If the message states that the file could not be deleted by McAfee, then contact the Helpdesk and give the specific message.






What should I do if I lose my internet connection?

Cables often come loose or get plugged into the voice jack by mistake.  Make sure the network cable is plugged into a jack labeled "D1 or D2", which is for Data connections.  Please check the network cable between your computer and the wall jack.  It should be securely fastened in place. Restart your computer if the cables are connected properly.






What should I do if my local printer is not printing?

Most printer problems are caused by a lapse of communication between the printer and the computer. Before contacting the Helpdesk, please try the following steps to resolve your problem:

  • Make sure printer cables are securely attached to the printer and computer.
  • Power the printer off and back on.
  • If printer does still not respond, restart your computer.






Can I connect my personal laptop to the TC network?

You can use the ethernet cable your office computer uses to get an internet connection on your personal laptop. However, you cannot logon to the TC network on a personal computer due to potential security risks.






I can logon to the computer but I am unable to access the Internet, e-mail, or network drives.

  • If you are unable to access these three components, make sure your ethernet cable is plugged into the back of your computer, as well as the wall jack.
  • Restart your machine.
  • If you are using a laptop or iMac, be sure that wireless is turned off and verify that you have an internet connection. Network resources are not available over wireless.
  • If all cables appear to be properly connected, please contact the Helpdesk at x3300.
  • Please note that operating systems other than Windows XP/Windows 7 and Mac OS 10.5 or newer are not officially supported at TC. You will have connectivity problems if you use an older operating system.






What do I do if I forget my password?

Please call the Helpdesk at x3300.  For security reasons, we need to validate your identity.  If you are on campus we may ask you to visit the office and present a valid photo ID.  If you are off campus, we will ask you to provide your Date of Birth and last four digits of your Social Security Number.






What should I do if my computer will not power on?

  • Check to see that CPU and monitor are both plugged in
  • Is the surge protector on? Try resetting the surge protector
  • Check to see that all the cables are secure
  • Try plugging the power cables directly into the wall
  • Always turn on the monitor first and then the CPU.







How do I connect to a network Printer?


Instructions are available here

When connecting to a Konica Minolta Copier, you will be prompted to specify the following options:

Paper Source Unit: PC-109
Finisher: FS-529
Punch Unit: None

KM283, KM 363
Paper Source Unit:PC-208
Finisher: FS-529
Punch Unit: None

Paper Source Unit: PC-206
Finisher: FS-522
Punch Unit: None


How do I connect to a Departmental Share (WebDav)?






Cubmail (CUNIX) & UNI

How do I forward my Cubmail?


You can forward your Cubmail mail to your TC Exchange account or any other e-mail address by visiting Columbia's website.  Click here for more detailed instructions.






How do I activate my UNI?

Pleave visit Columbia's website.






What can I do if I forgot my UNI password?

Please stop by Academic Computing in 234 Horace Mann or call 212-678-3302. They will flag your account to allow you to reset the password online.






How do I change my UNI password?

Go to Columbia's website here then click on the "Login to Manage Your UNI Account" link. 






How do I view the space quota for my Cubmail Account?

Click here for detailed instructions.





I have more questions about my UNI or Cubmail


For additional assistance with Cubmail or your UNI, please contact Academic Computing Services at 212-678-3302 or