Expense ReimbursementSkip to content Skip to main navigation
Office of the Controller
Accounts Payable Expense ReimbursementQuick Reference
Teachers College’s administers an Accountable Business Expense Reimbursement Plan. An Accountable plan requires reimbursed business expenses to be substantiated, ordinary, necessary, and submitted within a reasonable timeframe. Expenses that do not meet these criteria fall under the non-accountable plan requirements where the reimbursed amount is taxable to the employee.
- A valid business purpose must be provided for all expense reimbursement requests.
- Expense Reimbursements must include original receipts . Photocopies will not be accepted or processed.
- No receipt-no reimbursement. Please do not include expenses without receipts in the expense reimbursement request. This will prevent the processing of the entire request.
- Expense reimbursements under $100 can be processed immediately at the Bursar’s Office through Petty Cash.
- If guests or colleagues are entertained in a meal expense submitted for reimbursement, kindly list the full name(s ) of the attendee(s) on the original itemized receipt (not the credit card charge slip).
- All Expense Reimbursement requests for travel more than 50 miles away from NYC and lasting 24 hours or more must be submitted with a completed Travel Expense Reimbursement Report along with an approved check request.
- Domestic & International Business Expense reimbursement requests must be submitted to the Accounts Payable Department for processing no more than 90 days after completion of the business event or travel, to receive a non-taxable reimbursement. Expenses submitted for reimbursement after 90 days, will be reimbursed, however, the reimbursed amount will be taxable to the employee as it would have failed to meet the accountable plan requirements. Taxable reimbursements resulting from failure to meet the 90-day criteria should be submitted via the PAF process, along with a Travel Expense Reimbursement Report (if applicable) and all original supporting receipts.
- Per Diem rates on the first and last day of travel are not the same as the full day rates. Please contact Accounts Payable Department for assistance in determining the allowable amount to be reimbursed on the first and last day of travel.
- Per Diem rates may only be used for business travel expenses incurred 50 miles or more away from NYC and lasting 24 hours or more: Per Diem rates cannot be mixed with actual expenses within the same trip.
- Note- Business expenses must be ordinary and necessary. If you are unsure about an expense, please call the Accounts Payable Department for assistance (at extension 8216) before making the outlay, or including it on the expense reimbursement request.
- TC Travel & Business Expense Policy & Procedures can be found at: http://www.tc.columbia.edu/policylibrary/controller/travel-and-expense/
- E-mail for Accounts Payable inquiries: email@example.com