Frequently Asked Questions
- Taxable Tuition
Q1: What is the effect of Taxable tuition on my take home pay?
Q2: I have a question about the amount of Taxable Tuition included on my paycheck.
Q3: How can I prepare for the amount of tax witheld from my paycheck for taxable tuition?
- What will my take home pay be?
- Where is my paycheck sent?
- When is pay day?
- As a new employee, when will I receive my first paycheck and what do I need to do to ensure I get paid?
- Can I have my paycheck direct deposited?
- How can I obtain a replacement W-2 and how long will it take?
- I believe my paycheck is incorrect. What should I do?
- Q1: What is the effect of Taxable tuition on my take home pay?
- A1: The effect of taxable tuition on the average, is that 1/2 of the value of the taxable tuition is lost in net pay (take home).
- A2: The first $5,250 in a calendar year is not taxable. After that threshold is reached the tuition becomes taxable.
- A3: Go to the IRS website and look for form 919. Read it and complete
What will my take home pay be?
On average, for a New York City resident, 1/3 of an individual's gross pay is taken out in taxes will not have as net pay.
Where is my paycheck sent?
It goes to your department's internal TC post office box; departmental secretaries pick up these checks and distribute them to you.
Back to top
When is pay day?
- Pay day is dependent on the type of payroll you are being paid on:
- Semi-Monthly (SM) employees are paid twice a month.
- Weekly (WK) employees get paid for work performed Monday to Sunday, on the following Friday.
- Biweekly (BW) employees are paid once every two weeks, for work done the prior two-week period commencing on Monday and ending on Sunday. They get paid up to date, even though their time sheets have not been submitted to payroll for that period. Time sheets lag a pay period.
- The part-time and work study (B2) employees are also paid once every two weeks with a one week lag.
As a new employee, when will I receive my first paycheck and what do I need to do to ensure I get paid?
Ask your respective departmental associate when they submitted a PAF for you. Then refer to the Budget Department for a list of cutoff dates.
Can I have my paycheck direct deposited?
Yes, checks may be direct deposit after filling out a payroll authorization form.
How can I obtain a replacement W-2 and how long will it take?
Please call or stop by the Payroll Department to fill out a request for a replacement W-2. Alternatively, you may find the request form in Public Folders under TC Forms/Human Resources. It is posted by Zoya Michel. The turnaround is normally 2-3 weeks.
I believe my paycheck is incorrect. What should I do?
Call the Payroll Department and we will research the answer to your question.