Grants for Faculty and Students
Dean's Grant for Tenured Faculty Research
To: Tenured Faculty
From: Tom James, Provost and Dean of the College
Re: Dean's Grant for Tenured Faculty Research
Date: August 8, 2014
It is my pleasure to announce the Teachers College 2014-2015 Dean's Grant for Tenured Faculty Research. A total of 2 grants will be awarded this year. This grant supports faculty research and scholarship by providing:
1. A Fall 2015 or Spring 2016 semester release (2 courses) with salary. Funds for adjunct coverage will be provided to the department as necessary.
2. $5,000 to be used for budgeted expenses (e.g., research assistant, travel, materials) associated with the proposed research. Please note that funds may NOT be used for equipment and must be used by August 31, 2016.
It is expected that research will be undertaken while you are in residence at Teachers College, and that you will continue to advise students and participate in department and College activities during the semester you are released from teaching. The degree and type of departmental and collegiate involvement for this time will be determined in consultation with the department chair. Upon completion of the research, the grant awardee may be likely invited to share the results with the TC Community in a published report, and/or be invited to deliver a lecture.
Please submit a no more than 10-page (single-spaced) proposal that includes the following:
- A description of the proposed project and an abstract;
- A rationale including the relevance and significance of the project to your ongoing work, to the field, and to the mission of the College;
- An overview of the methodology;
- A timeline for completion;
- A proposed budget not to exceed $5,000;
- If the proposal is part of a larger, long-term project, an indication of how this work fits into the context of the overall research project.
Each proposal should also include the following attachments:
- an updated curriculum vitae;
- a description of other sources of funding for this project;
- any relevant publications or other supporting documents;
- a communication from the department chair, indicating his/her endorsement/support, how your teaching schedule will be adjusted, and the amount of funds needed for adjunct coverage if required.
Please note that the research grant release semester cannot directly precede or follow a sabbatical leave semester or a leave of absence semester. The Dean's Grants for Faculty Committee chaired by the Dean will review proposals.
The following schedule highlights key dates:
Submission Date: November 28, 2014
Notification Date: Week of February 2, 2015
Starting Date: Fall 2015 or Spring 2016
Please submit via e-mail ONE electronic copy of the proposal with its attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org. Your last name and the grant you are applying for will go in the subject line of your e-mail. Please contact the Administrative Coordinator to the Provost, Mitzi Pelle at email@example.com or (212) 678-3050 with any questions.