The Office of Environmental Health & Safety (EHS) assists the Teachers College Community in promoting a safe and healthful environment for all individuals associated with the college, including students, faculty, staff and visitors. We support the TC community by providing technical assistance, education, training and hazard assessments. Additionally, EHS coordinates with other departments to minimize loss of college resources.
In support of this mission EHS is committed to:
- Evaluating and overseeing campus compliance of health, safety and environmental standards, codes, regulations and college programs through inspections, audits and monitoring.
- Cooperating with academic and administrative departments to identify health, safety and environmental hazards and non-compliance and assist in resolving those issues.
- Providing technical services and expertise to the TC community.
- Encouraging an open atmosphere for the exchange of ideas and suggestions for a safe, healthy and environmentally responsible campus community.
- Maintaining and building confidence and support for EHS from the TC community.
- Serving as the College’s liaison with external regulatory agencies.
- Caring for the environment by promoting ethical and responsible practices.
- Demonstrating sound fiscal responsibility and management of budgetary resources.
- Developing and implementing new programs to assure that TC remains compliant with regulatory and industry standards.
- Maintaining necessary documentation to demonstrate regulatory compliance and responsible actions in health, safety and environmental matters.
- Assisting in emergency preparedness, response, and remediation activities.
- Responding to and investigating environmental, health and safety concerns of individuals associated with TC