Federal Loan Exit InformationIf you have borrowed one or more federal student loans while enrolled at TC, you must fulfill an exit counseling (also referred to as an "exit interview") requirement. This is a federal requirement that all students must complete. Exit counseling will provide you with vital information necessary for the timely repayment of your student loans.
For students who are in a doctoral program but are earning a master's degree along the way, you must complete exit counseling upon the receipt of each degree. For example, if you earn a Master of Arts degree, a Master of Science degree, and a Master of Education degree on the way to a doctoral degree, exit counseling will be completed after your MA, after your MS, after your MEd, and after your PhD/EdD.
We recommend that students attend one of our in-person sessions on campus, however, in-person attendance is not a requirement. We understand that scheduling or geographical issues may prevent you from attending, so the alternative is to complete exit counseling online. Read on for directions.
- Please visit www.studentloans.gov and sign in using your birthday, last name, SSN, and Federal PIN.
- Upon logging in, you will see several options in the center of the page. Click "Complete Counseling."
- On the next page, click "Start" under the "Exit Counseling" section.
- You will be prompted to select your school. Please ensure that you choose Teachers College, Columbia University (G03979). Do not select Columbia University in the City of New York.
- Allow 20 - 30 minutes to complete exit counseling. Teachers College will receive an electronic confirmation of your exit counseling in three to five business days.
- For the Perkins Loan, complete the exit counseling here.
- Be an informed borrower. Attend one of our in-house info sessions in the spring OR read the Repaying Your Loans section on our site.
Please contact your lender/servicer to obtain information on estimating your monthly payment, managing your loan account, and other loan-related inquiries. If you have any questions, please contact our office.
**If you have questions about your Federal Perkins Loan exit interview, you must contact the Office of Student Accounts.**