Private/Alternative LoansAfter considering all of the resources available through the Teachers College Office of Financial Aid, some students need further assistance and choose to utilize a private loan through a lender that they have chosen. The TC Office of Financial Aid does not promote or work with one particular private loan lender. We strongly encourage students to do their own independent research to determine which lender best suits their needs. The lender will electronically send the loan information to Teachers College for certification.
International students will need a co-signer who is either a U.S. citizen or permanent resident in order to apply. The person who co-signs the loan cannot have an adverse credit history.
If possible, consider these options first, before seeking a private loan:
- Exhaust federal aid resources first (not applicable to international students)
- Explore payment options through the Office of Student Accounts
- Seek financial assistance from friends/family
- Borrow only what you will need to pay your expenses.
- Be an educated consumer. Know and understand the terms and conditions of your loan.
- Utilize loan comparison charts and checklists to ensure that you find the best deal. Be aware of grace periods, fixed vs. flexible interest rates, and repayment options that are associated with the loan and lender that you choose.
- Plan ahead. Borrowing now will will impact your life in the future, so revisit your goals and understand what you will face during repayment.
For more information please contact the Office of Financial Aid at firstname.lastname@example.org.