There are four ways to schedule a private consultation:
- Schedule it online at https://gwc.mywconline.com
- Email your request to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Call 212-678-3789
- Stop by our office at 162 Thorndike
Consultations are free for TC students.
All Graduate Writing Center advisors are current Teachers College or Columbia University graduate students and come from a variety of programs and backgrounds.
Services are provided one-on-one on the Teachers College campus. Currently, we offer online consulting only to students in online-only programs.
GWC Consultation Policy
As of Spring 2017
- One appointment per day, with a maximum of one appointment per week.
- Appointments can be scheduled up to two weeks in advance, and are made on a first-come, first-served basis. While online requests are the preferred method of making an appointment, writers may also call, email, or visit the Center. These scheduling guidelines are in place to provide students equal opportunity to access the GWC's services. Please note that appointment availability may vary during peak periods.
- Appointments should be made at least 48 hours in advance. Appointment requests received via call or e-mail outside regular GWC hours (M-Th, 1pm - 7pm) will be processed the following business day.
- Writers must complete an appointment form to confirm their appointment with a Graduate Writing Advisor.
- Always bring a printed copy of your work. The Graduate Writing Center does not provide printing services. Writers may also bring their laptops to the consultation to take notes or make changes to their document.
- Writers must fill out a "Consultation Goals" slip BEFORE a consultation begins and share it with their Graduate Writing Advisor.
- A consultation appointment can be 30 to 60 minutes. Each appointment consists of a 5 minute summary at the end. Please plan on working on one text (no more than 6-10 pages) per session.
Late Arrivals and Cancellations
- Writerss must arrive on time. If a student is more than 15 minutes late it will be considered a missed appointment.
- Cancellation Policy: Writers may login in or call or email the GWC to cancel their appointment. Cancellations must be made 24 hours in advance. If a writer has not canceled the appointment within this time frame, it will be considered a missed appointment. Writers who miss two appointments in a semester without 24-hour advance notice will no longer be able to reserve sessions in advance for the duration of that term. Walk-in appointments will still be available on an as-available basis. Extenuating circumstances will be reviewed by the Graduate Writing Center Coordinator.