Skip to navigation menu

Skip to main content

Insurance and Immunization Records
Teachers College, Columbia University
teachers college logo columbia univertsity logo

Insurance and Immunization Records

Office of Student Affairs

Immunization Information > Immunizations FAQs

Immunizations FAQs

Who has to submit immunization documentation?

Teachers College, as mandated by New York State Public Health Law, requires that students born on or after January 1, 1957 provide proof of immunity to Measles, Mumps, and Rubella before initial registration. All students are also required to document a decision regarding the meningococcal meningitis vaccine. Failure to comply with the requirements will result in a hold on the student's record and will prevent students from registering for the following semester.

Do you provide responses to individualized questions?

Yes, you may e-mail your questions to We usually respond within 1-2 business days.

How will I be notified of my immunization compliance?

Immunization documentation is processed in the order in which it is received. An email will be sent once your documentation has been reviewed. You will be advised if you need to provide additional information, inoculations, or if you are fully compliant. You can also check your compliance status in the Admitted Student Website upon logging-in.

How do I submit my immunization documentation?

Completed forms may be submitted in the following ways:

By e-mail: You may send a scanned copy of your immunization documentation to
By mail:
Insurance and Immunization Records Office
Teachers College, Columbia University
Box 308
525 West 120th Street
New York, NY 10027-6696
By fax:
If you fax your documentation, please make sure to include your full name, date of birth, and  TC ID Number. Forms cannot be processed without this information. Our fax number is: (212) 678-3681
In person:
Drop off your immunization documentation at the Office of Insurance and Immunization Records located in Thorndike Hall, Room 159. The office is open Monday - Thursday, 9:00 am - 6:00 pm and Fridays from 9:00 am - 5:00 pm . During summer months, our office closes at 5:00pm (Mon-Thurs) and 3:00 pm on Fridays.

NOTE: Please keep a copy of your immunization documents for your records.

What is needed to complete the immunization requirement?

Proof of MMR immunity may be demonstrated by any of the following ways:

  1. Documentation of two doses of measles vaccine (the first dose administered after first birthday, and second dose at least 28 days after first dose), one dose of mumps (administered after first birthday), and one dose of rubella vaccine (administered after first birthday). Paperwork must show complete date of vaccine administration, including day, month, and year.


  2. Documentation from physician stating history of the disease (for measles and mumps only). Physician must enter the dates of initial diagnosis on immunization form. A diagnosis of previous rubella disease is not acceptable proof of immunity under the New York State Health Code. Immunity to all of the three diseases may be proven by a blood test for antibodies. The test is known as a Titer. You must provide a copy of the actual laboratory report with the immunization form in order for this information to be processed for you.
  3. Copies of immunization records from another college or university may also be submitted. Attach the copies to the College's immunization form. Complete the top portion of the form only. Since the requirements vary in different states, your documentation is reviewed to see if it meets New York State standards.
  4. Meningococcal Meningitis Requirement: You must formally document your decision on whether or not to immunize against meningococcal meningitis. Vaccination is optional; your documented decision is required.

Please see the Guide to Completing Immunization Requirements for more information.

What is the deadline to submit immunization records for new students?

Summer and Fall 2014 Admits: September 3, 2014

Spring 2015 Admits: January 20, 2015

Where can I get my vaccinations, and how much do they cost?

Vaccination Locations:

Medical Services at Columbia Health: (212) 854-7426
John Jay Hall, 4th Floor, 114th & Amsterdam
Call to make an appointment.

MMR vaccinations are free for students who have paid the Columbia Health Program fee at this location, and Meningitis immunizations for college students are available for a nominal rate.

MMR immunization for college students is also available for FREE at:

Fort Green HealthCenter: (718) 643-3767
295 Flatbush Avenue Extension between Willoughby Street and Albee Square
Monday and Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 2:00 p.m

Tremont Health Center: (718) 960-0349
1826 Arthur Ave. - 1st floor, Bronx, NY, 10457
(between Cross Bronx Expressway & Tremont Ave.)
Monday, Tuesday and Thursday:  8:30 AM – 2:30 PM

Corona Health Center: (718) 476-7645
34-33 Junction Boulevard - 3rd floor, Queens, NY, 11372
(between 34th Ave. & 34th Road)
Wednesday and Friday, 8:30 AM – 2:30 PM

Click here for NYC Department of Health Immunization Walk-in Clinics.

For more information please visit the New York City Bureau of Immunization website.

I think that I have been immunized, but I do not have documentation to prove this?

We recommend that you visit your local physician and request a blood test known as a Titer. This test determines your immunity to measles, mumps, and rubella. If you are not immune, you should get vaccinated before you arrive on campus. Your physician should complete the university's immunization form for submission.

I am an international student and had my vaccinations administered at home. Is this acceptable?

We will review the documentation to see if you meet the New York State requirements. Please include the day, month, year, and dose administered. Documentation must include physician or other health care provider's signature and stamp. Please complete the top portion of the university's form and attach the supporting documentation to it.

Do you accept immunization documents written in another language?

No. Please have immunization documents translated and notarized before submission.

Where can I find the immunization forms for my physician to complete?

Immunization forms can be found online at under the "Forms" Page. Students should complete the top portion of the form. Once the physician or health care provider has completed Section A OR Section B, we recommend that you make a copy for your records before submitting proof of immunity.

Are there exemptions to the requirement?

Yes, there are two ways to document and request exemption from the immunization requirement.

  1. Medical Exemption: You may provide the Office of Insurance & Immunization Records with a letter from your physician requesting a medical exemption from further immunization. You will then be notified in writing if either a temporary or permanent exemption has been granted. If a temporary exemption is given, you will be expected to complete the requirement at the exemption's expiration.
  2. Religious Exemption: Most religious groups which object to immunizations will provide you with a standard form indicating the objection. You may also submit a letter from your congregation explaining the religious basis of your objection. To determine what documentation you must provide, you may email your question to or visit the Insurance and Immunization Records Office in 159 Thorndike Hall. The office is open Monday to Thursdays from 9:00 am - 6:00 pm and on Friday from 9:00 am - 5:00 pm.

I lost or misplaced my immunization documentation. What should I do?

If you cannot provide documentation, we recommend that you take a blood test known as a titer to determine your immunity. If you are immune then you will not need to take additional action. If not, you will be notified by email of the inoculations you will need to become compliant.

I have been advised that I need a second measles shot to become compliant. Do you offer the single measles vaccine?

Health Services does not provide individual Measles shots, but they can provide you with the MMR booster shot, by appointment.  The cost of the vaccine and appointment vary based on Health Services enrollment.

I thought that I submitted all the documents for my immunization requirement, however, I received an email asking for this information. Why?

If you submitted documentation of immunity, and still received an email regarding your partial or non-compliant status, it is likely that the information does not fulfill all of New York State's requirements. Many students who have received a single dose of either the Measles or MMR vaccine are unaware that the NY STATE PUBLIC HEALTH LAW REQUIRES TWO DOSES OF THE MEASLES VACCINE. Students in this category must obtain a second dose of the MMR vaccine to be fully compliant. Health Services offers the MMR booster shot by appointment at the cost of $50 or for free if you have paid the Columbia Health Fee. If you are not sure why you are not compliant, you may contact us at or at (212) 678-3006.

What happens if I do not get the second measles vaccine?

You are not compliant by New York State standards without the second measles shot. We will place a 'hold' on your future registration if you fail to get the second measles inoculation. Please remember to provide the documentation of your second measles shot to the staff in the Office of Insurance and Immunization Records in 159 Thorndike Hall so that your records are accurately updated.

I attended -- or graduated from -- Teachers College and would like to get copies of my immunization records.

Students are provided with a report, on Teachers College letterhead, that confirms the student has submitted his or her Meningitis decision and/or MMR immunization records, along with the dates of immunizations. Students must fill out an Immunization Record Release Form which is available online at under the "Forms" page or in our office at 159 Thorndike Hall. Students can opt to either pick up the immunization report in person, have it mailed to them or a third party, or have it faxed to them or a third party. You are asked to provide your Social Security Number or TC I.D., address, phone number, and signature.