Skip to navigation menu

Skip to main content

Housing Options > Faculty Housing

Site Navigation

Housing Options

Faculty Housing

The Office of Residential Services intends this summary as a handy guide for current and prospective faculty tenants in Teachers College properties. It includes basic information which we believe will be of value to you both while planning your move and once you have arrived. We suggest that you print a copy and keep it available for easy reference. We have included information of basic relevance to all tenants in New York City apartment buildings as well as information particular to Teachers College.

At present, because the demand for housing greatly exceeds the supply of available apartments, only full-time faculty in the ranks of assistant professor, associate professor and professor as well as senior executive officers are eligible for housing. The Director of Residential Services and Campus Safety in conjunction with the Vice President for Academic Affairs is responsible for assigning apartments based on the guidelines established by the Faculty Housing Committee impanelled by the President of the College in 1996.

As of July 1, 2004, any tenured faculty member moving into College housing is guaranteed housing for five years. At the end of the fourth year of residence, the faculty member will be informed by the College whether the fifth year will be the concluding year of residence, or if a three-year extension will be granted. Such an extension may be renewable, based on availability and at the discretion of the Office of Residential Services, and will be reviewed for possible extension at the end of the second year.

For pre-tenured faculty, the initial term of residency will be seven years, with the vacate/no vacate notification taking place in the sixth year. Non-tenured faculty will have the same possible residency extension policy available to them as tenured faculty.

Eligible faculty may apply for housing at the Office of Residential Services located on the first floor of Whittier Hall, 1230 Amsterdam Avenue, and telephone (212) 678-3235. Those faculty members who currently reside in Teachers College housing may also apply to transfer apartments, subject to availability and the guidelines established by the Faculty Housing Committee.

The College Housing Committee has established guidelines for assigning apartments based on the number of individuals living in the unit as follows:

1 bedroom or small 2 bedroom
Large 1 bedroom or small 2 bedroom
Family of three:
Large 2 bedroom or small 3 bedroom
Family of four:
3 bedroom
Family > 4:
Large 3 bedroom or 4 bedroom

Assignment to the types of units listed above is based on availability and no guarantee can be made that the type of units listed above will be available for a particular family size. When making assignments, priority is given to new faculty entering the College. Second priority is given to continuing faculty not currently living in on-campus housing and third priority is given to transfers within the buildings.

Faculty apartments are located in either Lowell Hall or Seth Low Hall.

click here for faculty residence floorplans

Lowell Hall


We provide one telephone jack in the common area of each apartment in Lowell Hall. Telephone and voicemail service is provided through the campus telephone system. You should contact the Office of Telecommunications at 212-678-3456 to have service initiated or to have additional lines or jacks installed. There is a charge for activating additional jacks or adding lines.

Cable TV

Cable service is included in the monthly rent in Lowell Hall and is managed through the Office of Telecommunications. You may reach telecommunications at 212-678-3456.

Data/computer connection

Data connections are included in the monthly rent in Lowell Hall and are managed through the Office of Telecommunications at 212-678-3456.


Coin/debit-card operated laundry facilities are in the basement of the building.

Seth Low Hall


In Seth Low all tenants are responsible for their own telephone service and should contact Verizon to have their telephone service turned on by calling 212-890-2350. The Office of Residential Services will bill tenants monthly for all phone calls made using the in house switchboard. Also, in Manhattan, both local and long distance calls are toll. You should be sure to ask Verizon about their various calling plans.

Cable TV

Contact Time Warner Cable at 212-567-3833 to install cable service in your apartment.

Data/computer connection

You may contact Verizon for DSL connection or Time Warner Cable for high-speed Internet access.


Coin-operated laundry facilities are in the basement of the building.