Student Policies and Procedures
Other Rules and Regulations
A. Air Conditioners
1. Residents residing in
1. Resident is legally and/or financially responsible for the actions of children under their care.
C. Computer / Network Usage
D. Disorderly conduct
1. Resident is legally and contractually responsible for his/her actions in all mental and physical conditions.
2. Residents are strictly prohibited from the following:
a. engaging in loud or excessive noise: including music, voice, musical instruments, etc.;
b. disrupting other Residents' attempts to study or sleep;
c. throwing objects from windows, roof tops, window ledges, fire escapes, or any other protrusions or surfaces;
d. throwing glass, wire hangers, large objects or any hazardous materials down trash chutes;
e. standing or sitting on roof tops, window ledges, fire escapes, or any other protrusions or exterior surfaces;
E. Drugs/ Controlled Substances
1. Federal, state and local laws prohibit the use, possession, and sale of controlled substances.
G. Fire Safety
1. Tampering and/or removal of fire safety equipment, leaving stove/oven unattended, failure to evacuate during fire alarm, and propping doors open are prohibited.
2. Cooking, other than via microwave, is prohibited in small efficiency rooms in 517 West 121st and single and suite bedrooms in
1. In 517 West 121st,
2. All guests must have a photo ID.
3. Guest(s) may utilize a guest pass authorizing entry 14 days per month.
4. Resident is legally, contractually and/or financially responsible for all actions of their guest(s).
J. Keys and Locks
1. Resident may not add or replace locks on any residential door that is associated with the College.
2. Resident keys will not be made available to anyone other than the assigned resident and unit occupants listed in III-A.
3. Resident agrees to pay a $125 fee per room/suite/apartment lock for lost or stolen keys.
1. All pets are prohibited in 517 West 121st, Whittier Hall, and single-student designated units in Grant Hall.
2. Pets are permitted in Bancroft Hall, Sarasota Hall, and family-designated units in Grant Hall. The following policies apply:
a. Register any pets (type and breed) that will reside with you during this contract period.
b. Update above pet registration within 30 days of any additions or removals.
c. Pets must be cared for properly, including vaccinating as required by law, cleaning up excrement, noise control, and avoiding interfering or disrupting the lives of other residents.
d. Pets must be curbed and may not drop litter on any Teachers College property, which includes sidewalks.
e. Pets must be restrained on a leash no longer than six feet when taken outside of apartment.
f. Resident is legally, contractually and/or financially responsible for the actions of their pets.
g. Pets are not permitted in any lounges, study rooms, meeting rooms, or laundry rooms.
1. Residents may not affix any signage, handbill, sticker, advertisement, decoration, or other covering on any common walls, the exterior of the room/apartment door (building corridor side) or on the interior of the room/apartment window(s) with wording or designs facing the outside.
1. All residents, affiliates, and guests are required to present their College Identification upon every entry into 517 West 121st,
2. Exiting via an Emergency Exit during a non-emergency situation is prohibited.
1. Smoking is prohibited in all public areas, elevators, corridors, lobbies, stairwells, laundry rooms, and common areas in the residence halls including community bathrooms, kitchens, and courtyards.
2. Smoking is not permitted in individual bedrooms in 517 West 121st or
1. Solicitors or tradesmen, including those who may be Teachers College residents, affiliates, faculty or staff, are prohibited from entering the residence halls for the purpose of conducting business.
1. The College reserves the right to dispose of all items left in rooms/apartments after a resident has vacated the contracted Unit.
2. Storing any items in any residential common space-- hallways, corridors, stairways, exit/entry ways, bathrooms, kitchens, lounges, roofs, suites, balconies, etc. is strictly prohibited.
3. Storing plants, food or other items on roof tops, window ledges, fire escapes, or any other protrusions or exterior surfaces is prohibited.
R. Student Health Insurance
1. All students in Teachers College housing must pay the University Health Service fee for each semester of occupancy; this fee cannot be waived.
2. Also, all students in Teachers College housing are required to carry acceptable health insurance coverage, either by enrolling in the Columbia Student Medical Insurance Plan or by documenting comparable, alternate coverage.
1. Violations of this regulation include the theft of services or theft of property owned by either an individual or the College as well as the transportation of College property from its authorized location.
1. Any weapon or object that may be considered a weapon by the College in its sole and absolute discretion, or any object that may cause bodily harm to the bearer or another individual is strictly prohibited. In unclear cases of definition, the context in which a particular object is used shall determine whether it is a weapon, such determination to be made by the College in its sole and absolute discretion. Objects that are included in this category, but not limited to, are firearms, stun guns, pellet guns, explosives, dangerous chemicals, ammunition, bows & arrows, knives, slingshots, etc.
V. Window Guards
1. Window guards are required in all
2. Window guards may only be removed by Facilities personnel for the purpose of air conditioner installation.