Healthcare Reform Update: The Affordable Care Act
The Affordable Care Act
The 2010 Affordable Care Act (ACA) was passed with the intent to provide United States residents access to health care. Beginning January 1, 2014, everyone must demonstrate they have adequate health insurance coverage or will be charged a penalty. The deadline to enroll was March 31, 2014.
Students currently enrolled in the 2013-2014 Columbia Student Health Insurance Plan are fully covered until August 31, 2014 and DO NOT have to take any action. Be sure to check this page in August to understand what to do for the Fall Term.
Columbia Insurance Plans & the Affordable Care Act
Teachers College requires all full time students (taking 12 billable credits), living in the Teachers College residence halls, and/or International students (regardless of credit status) to have health insurance. Domestic students that choose coverage from a non-University provider must be in a plan that offers comparable coverage. For more details on the Columbia Student Medical Insurance-specific requirements, please visit the Teachers College Health Insurance Page.
The current 2016-2017 Columbia Student Insurance Plan offered through Aetna Student Health already meets many of the regulations. The Columbia Plan is reviewed and renewed annually and will continue to meet or exceed all applicable regulations.
For more information about the Affordable Care Act and student health insurance, please visit the American College Health Association website.
What are My Options?
If students lose coverage during the school year, they can:
- Enroll in the Columbia Student Health Insurance Plan:
- Know how the Columbia Plan accounts for cost, convenience, coverage and customization for students enrolled in the plan. (Download Comparable Health Insurance Plan PDF)
- Understand the value the Columbia Plan brings to students. (Detailed information about the plan is available throughout the Health Insurance portion of our website)
- OR, go to New York State of Health (Opens in a new window) (NY’s Health Insurance Marketplace) for information about the plans available on the marketplace.*
* Bronze Plans offered via the New York State Health Insurance Marketplace (Exchange) DO NOT meet the Columbia University-specific requirements and cannot be used to waive the University plan.
Waiver Criteria Changes
The waiver criteria have been aligned to meet the requirements of the Affordable Care Act, including but not limited to coverage for pre-existing conditions, no coverage maximums and cost sharing limits. For a complete list of the new waiver criteria please visit the waive section of our website.