Outside FundingSkip to content Skip to main navigation
The Office of
The following is a list of various organizations that have provided funding opportunities for students. Please note that the scholarships offered by these organizations vary in terms of amounts, restrictions, and requirements. When researching scholarships, consider the following factors:
- Does the organization require that you apply from your home country prior to embarking upon studies, or only after you have entered a full-time program?
- Do you have to be a citizen of a particular country?
- Do you have to be engaged in a particular field of study?
- Do you have to be at a particular degree level (e.g., master's versus doctorate)
- Does the scholarship provide tuition support only, or funds for living expenses as well?
When seeking scholarship support, it is essential to plan ahead and research application requirements carefully. Many organizations require that applications be submitted months, and even up to a year, in advance.
International and Regional Organizations and Exchange / Fulbright Programs
- Leo S. Rowe Fund of the Organization of American States
Interest-free loan program for persons from Latin American and Caribbean countries.
Administers Fulbright scholarships and exchange programs for students from the Middle East, Mediterranean, and north Africa
- Ford Foundation International Fellowship Program
The Ford Foundational International Fellowships Program (IFP) provides opportunities for advanced study to exceptional individuals who will use this education to become leaders in their respective fields, futhering development in their own countries. Provides support for up to three years of formal graduate-level study. Fellows are selected from countries in Asia, Africa, Middle East, Latin America and Russia.
- Joint Japan/World Bank Graduate Scholarship Program
The World Bank, with funding from the Government of Japan, established the World Bank Graduate Scholarship Program which awards scholarships to individuals from World Bank member countries of the Bank.
- Institute of International Education
Offers information regarding the Fulbright Scholarship program
- International Research & Exchange Board (IREX)
Scholarship and exchange programs for students from countries of the former Soviet Union, central Asia, and the Balkans
- LASPAU: Academic and Professional Programs for the Americas
Information about Fulbright and OAS grants and scholarships administered by LASPAU; for students from the Americas.
- Makarios Greek Scholarship Fund
13 East 40th Street New York, NY 10016
For full-time Greek (from Cyprus or Morphou) students with high scholastic ability and need.
- Rotary International
Scholarships for Women
- American Association of University Women (AAUW)
Fellowships for American and international women. Various criteria and deadlines.
- The Margaret McNamara Memorial Fund
For women from developing countries who plan to return to their country within two years of the grant date. Need-based awards up to $10,000 per year.
- P.E.O. International Peace Scholarship Fund P.E.O. Executive Office
Partial grants-in-aid for selected women from countries other than the U.S. and Canada. Recipients must promise to return to their home country.
Research / Other Grants
- Social Science Research Council
605 3rd Avenue New York, NY 10158
Fellowships and grants for predoctoral studies and advanced research programs. Eligibility requirements and application deadlines vary according to individual programs.
- Spencer Foundation Fellowship Awards
The Foundation's fellowship programs support scholars engaged in educational research.
- United States Institutes of Peace Jennings Randolph Program for International Peace
Various types of fellowships available for students from any country who have a specific interest or experience in international peace or conflict management. Application deadlines vary for the different fellowships offered.
- The Woodrow Wilson National Fellowship Foundation
A variety of fellowships for students just beginning their graduate studies as well as for those working on doctoral dissertations. The application deadlines vary according to the fellowships applied for.
- University of Iowa External Grant Opportunities for Non-U.S. Citizens
Excellent Resource made available courtesy of the University of Iowa.
- U.S. Department of State EducationUSA
General information and advice about applying for admission and securing financial assistance for study in the U.S.