Time Frame & ScheduleThe Intensive Program combines course work at Teachers College with independent work (independent study or fieldwork or online courses) during the school year. The M.A. degree requires a total of 32 credits taken through Teachers College, and can be completed in either two or three summers. Although two years is obviously faster, it also requires more intensive work, both at Teachers College and during the school year.
Two Summers Option:
The two summer option typically involves:
- 2 credits of independent study before coming to New York, to prepare for the summer
- 8 credits of course work at Teachers College each July session
- The remainder of the credits done independently between one July and the next, to total 32 credits.
Three Summers Option:
The three summer option offers a somewhat more relaxed pace in terms of study and financial commitment.
- Students might take six credits in each July session, and spread out the remaining 14 credits of independent work through the intervening two school years.
- Students attend Intensive summer sessions here at Teachers College.
For Summer 2011, the Intensive session will run from Wednesday, July 6 through Thursday, July 28
- Up to 8 credits (four 2-credit courses) may be taken in the four week July period.
- Each course meets for six hours per week (two 3-hour sessions).
- Intensive program courses are scheduled in the morning, afternoon, and evenings.