Happy Birthday, TC!
Published in TC Community
The lobby of TC’s Zankel Hall tends to be crowded at five o’clock on Thursday evenings, but the scene yesterday was on a different order of magnitude. This was no mere crush of students heading for evening class. Teachers College was kicking off the year-long celebration of its 125th birthday, and there was a party going on – and on, and on. In fact, when the official bash, billed as “The Happy Three Hours,” concluded at around 8:00 pm, the die-hards adjourned to the cafeteria for more.
Organized by the College’s Office of Special Events, the festivities were highlighted by a lights-out singing of Happy Birthday (a song that had its beginnings at TC), led by singer Jacqueline Horner-Kwiatek and trumpeter Tim Beadle, both students in the Music and Music Education program; the presentation of a giant sheet cake; high-class eats (including duck, fresh vegetables and a wine bar) underwritten by Culinart Inc.; a jazz trio led by saxophonist Gian Tornatore, also of the Music and Music Ed program; and still more live music in Everett Lounge, courtesy of Music and Music Ed students Nate Olson and Anne-Marie Hildebrandt Nelson.
And those were just the basics. Other activities and highlights included:
- An Insta-glam photo booth, operated by TC’s Office of Alumni Relations, where participants could pose for photos with TC and 125th anniversary props (gold hats, mustaches, etc.) for uploading to their Facebook sites and other social media
- Another photo booth, run by the Student Senate and the Office of Student Activities and Programs, where participants could also write in a scrapbook that is going to be included in a TC time capsule
- A giant mural of the New York City skyline, made with textiles and paper courtesy of students at the Teachers College Community School
- A booth run by the Department of Capital Projects that offered passersby the opportunity to take a quick TC “historic buildings” challenge
- A booth, operated by the Department of External
Affairs, where people could share their memories of TC. Add your story here.
- A display of lendable banners, created by the Office of Special Events, appropriate for 125th-relevant happenings sponsored by different academic departments
- The opportunity to participate in recording of a special mash-up version of “Happy Birthday, Teachers College” in the audiovisual studio on the second floor of Macy Hall
- A table where community members could make contributions to the TC Fund ($1.25 was the going rate for students, but one Alumni Council member wrote a check for $500!
- And, of course, glow sticks and necklaces, all in TC blue, provided by the Office of Facilities Management
Keep checking our website tc.edu/125 for upcoming 125th anniversary events.