Student Press Initiative to Hold Second Annual Summer Institute
How can schools transform students from passive readers and indifferent writers into active, engaged, creative young people who are motivated by the desire to communicate and be heard?
Find out at the second annual Summer Institute of TC’s Student Press Initiative (SPI), which will be held at the College from July 11th through July 14th. The event is a clinic for school leaders and teachers on how to implement SPI’s project-based curricular model in which students publish and publicly read from or perform their own work.
To register for this year’s Summer Institute, visit www.publishspi.org
Featured speakers at this year’s Institute include:
- Sheridan Blau, Professor Emeritus of English, University of California, Santa Barbara, and Distinguished Senior Lecturer in English Education at Teachers College
- Ernest Morrell, current faculty member at the University of California at Los Angeles, who will join TC this fall as the new Director of the Institute of Urban and Minority Education and Professor of English Education. Morrell was recently elected Vice President of National Council of Teachers of English, and will assume the presidency of that organization in 2013.
- Ruth Vinz, Enid & Lester Morse Chair and Professor of English Education at TC
- Erick Gordon, Director of the New York City Writing Project, and founder of SPI
- Peter Aguero, Story Instructor at MothShop Community Outreach Program, Moth GrandSLAM champion, Chicago City Limits Touring Company
- Ryan Goble, founder of MindBlue: Making Curriculum Pop! And former Curriculum Coordinator and New Teacher Coach in the South Bronx
Benefits for participants include:
- Practical curriculum and instruction strategies, including one-on-one consultations
- Literacy strategies from expert professional developers, classroom teachers and TC faculty
- A library of student-authored publications, mentor texts and tools for designing and managing a student writing-for-publication project
- Instruction in digital publishing and use of innovative publication tools to publish student writing, including audio-visual applications
A full year of follow-up and online mentoring and resource from SPI online coaches and moderators.previous page