Lucy M. Calkins
LUCY M. CALKINSLucy M. Calkins is Robinson Professor in Children's Literature and Director of the Literacy Specialist Program in Teachers College's Department of Curriculum and Teaching. She also is the Founding Director of the Teachers College Reading and Writing Project. Calkins is the internationally acclaimed author of Pathways to the Common Core, The Art of Teaching Reading, The Art of Teaching Writing, and Raising Lifelong Learners: A Parent's Guide. The mission of the Reading and Writing Project is to help young people become avid and skilled readers, writers, and inquirers. The Project accomplishes this goal through research, curriculum development, and through working shoulder-to-shoulder with students, teachers, principals and superintendents. The organization has a deep and long lasting affiliation with over six hundred schools, including an extensive involvement in New York City's education system and work in hundreds of districts, including whole cities such as Chicago, Albany and Seattle and in local schools in Israel, Sweden, Jordan and elsewhere.
TC also maintains a Reading Specialist Program in its Department of Health and Behavior Studies. The program is grounded in applied educational psychology that provides experience in working with child, adolescent, and adult learners.
To learn more about Lucy Calkins, read:
- Putting Standards to the Test (TC Today magazine)
- Reading, Writing and Relief (www.tc.edu)
- Trusting in Wild Things: Lucy Calkins recalls that the late children's author and illustrator Maurice Sendak was "unafraid to put real books in kids' hands" (www.tc.edu)
- The Thinking Profession (TC Annual Report)
- TC Reading & Writing Project's 80th Saturday Reunion (www.tc.edu)
- Bottling the Magic (TC Today magazine)
- Lucy Calkins to Hold Richard Robinson Chair in Children's Literature at Teachers College, Columbia University (www.tc.edu)
- 20 Superstars of Education (www.tc.edu)
- A Campaign for Equity: Around the City (TC Annual Report)