2013 Year in Review: Diversity & Community Affairs
With faculty, students and staff, TC’s Office of the Vice President for Diversity and Community Affairs (ODCA) builds community and civility, promotes academic and workplace engagement and addresses TC climate concerns. ODCA responds to Title IX guidance by the U.S. Department of Education, promotes education about gender based concerns and harassment prevention and strengthens TC’s climate concerning LGBTQ issues.
THE YEAR'S EFFORTS INCLUDE
- On Constitution Day, distribution of the U.S. Constitution; the forum “The Political and Social Dimensions of Surveilling Muslim Students after 9/11.”
- “Choices and Chances: School Policies and Practices and the Experience of Exclusion.” Cornell West and TC faculty members Lalitha Vasudevan and Michael Wilson discuss students’ experiences struggling in, dropping out or stopping out of school.
- The Racial Literacy Roundtables.
- Focusing on transgender concerns; helping preand in-service teachers navigate LGBTQ identities in the workplace; training LGBTQ individuals to identify straight allies and create safe and welcoming workspaces.
- “Systems of Support for Individuals with Disabilities,” cosponsored with the Barrier Removal Committee; the Disabilities IQ Series.
- The Mindfulness and Education Working Group; meditation for Facilities and Union Members.
- Programming to encourage master’s degree students (particularly black and Latino men) to pursue doctoral education.
- Awarding $11,450 for student-, faculty- and staff-sponsored diversity and community initiatives, and $7,500 for student research in diversity.
- Sexual Assault Awareness Training for Students. “
- Admitted Student Mix & Mingle,” co-sponsored with the Office of Admissions.
- “Coalition of Latino/a Scholars Envision,” for those considering graduate school.
- The Autism Awareness Program, featuring the film “Temple Grandin.”
- New Faculty and Employee Orientation Sessions, including FERPA Training, Preventing Workplace Harassment plus Gender-based Misconduct and Title IX, and Racial and Cultural Microaggressions Workshop.
- The fifth annual TC Community Cook Off.