School Building Leader (SBL) Certification

Skip to content Skip to main navigation
Teachers College, Columbia University
Printer-friendly Version
Teachers College, Columbia University Logo
Teacher Education at Teachers College

Teacher Education at Teachers College

School Building Leader(SBL) Certification & School District Leader(SDL)Certification

The Teachers College, Columbia University's master of arts & master of education in Educational Leadership - NYS-Summer Principals Academy (NYS-SPA)- approved teacher preparation program completion in Public School Leader leads to a NYSED-School Building Leader (SBL)-INITIAL/PROFESSIONAL cetificate type, upon request, institutional recommendation, and satisfactorily completing ALL of the NYSED certificate requirements.

The Teachers College, Columbia University's doctor of education in Educational Leadership- approved teacher preparation program completion in EITHER Public School District Leadership OR Urban Education Leaders leads to a NYSED-School District Leader (SDL)-PROFESSIONAL certificate type, after taking/passing ALL NYSED-SDL required examinations, and institutional recommendation upon request.



NYSTCEs (New York State Teacher Certification Examinations):
Applicants for New York State SBL or SDL certification (a/o May 1, 2014) are NYSED-required to take/pass the applicable NYSTCEs listed below:





INITIAL School Building Leader



PROFESSIONAL-School Disctrict Leader

Revised (Sept. 2013) School Building Leader Assessment (SBL)
Educating All Students Test (EAS)


Revised (Sept. 2013) School District Leader (SDL)

Educating All Students Test (EAS)


Classroom teaching experience includes experience earned in a public or approved nonpublic preschool or elementary, middle, or secondary school as well as in-state & out-of-state- experience. 

Claimed experience may be in any grade or subject. 

Experience that is not full time may be credited on a prorated basis.

Teaching assistant experience is not applicable to this requirement.


Teachers working as substitutes in numerous districts may wish to have each district verify the experience by providing a short letter on district letterhead.
FYI: Professional Development for Certificate Holders NYSED-Links:

Completion of New York certification requirements and Teachers College programs does not automatically translate into certification or licensure in other states.

If you plan on seeking certification outside of New York State,it will be to your advantage to investigate certification requirements for that state. While there is reciprocity betweenNew York and many other states, there may be additional courses and exams required by the state where you seek certification. In most states, applicants may be issued a temporary license for one to two years, during which additional requirements must be completed.

More information can be found by contacting the State Department of Education or visiting the website of the state in which you are interested.  

Please note, individual state requirements and contact information are subject to change.  

For information regarding interstate agreement for Applicants from Other States, please click here.
For Information regarding the Department of Educationin other states, kindly follow the links provided.


1. Completed Institutional Recommendation Data Form (IRDF) must be returned to the Office of Teacher Education with required documentation. 

2. Public School Building Leadership (SBL) institutional program codes: 

  • for Master of Arts- (29181)
  • for Master of Education- (29182)


3. Public School District Leadership (SDL) institutional program codes:

  • for Doctor of Education completer - Public School District Leader (29184)
  • for Doctor of Education completer - Urban Education Leaders Program (29183)