Skip to navigation menu

Skip to main content

Office of International Affairs
Teachers College, Columbia University
teachers college logo columbia univertsity logo

Frequently Asked Questions


What is the difference between the Office of International Affairs (OIA) and the Office of International Services (OIS)?
  The Office of International Affairs (OIA) was established to coordinate international partnerships and opportunities for institutional collaboration. The Office of International Services is responsible for assisting international students,visiting scholars, and foreign nationals employed at the College.

I have a question about my VISA? Who should I contact?  Please direct all VISA related questions to the Office of International Services, or 1-212-678-3939.

Can OIA help coordinate international projects by TC faculty? Yes. OIA can help coordinate logistics for institutional projects in which TC faculty are involved. For more information on a faculty scholarship and fieldwork, please click here.

I am a graduate student from a foreign university and am interested in studying at Teachers College.Which office should I contact?  If you are a graduate student and wish to take a course at Teachers College, please visit the Office of Admissions website for more information. Please note that graduate students are not eligible for the Visiting Scholars Program at Teachers College.

I would like to discuss future collaboration efforts with Teachers College.  How do I arrange a meeting?   Please send an email to , detailing how you wish to collaborate with Teachers College. We will determine whether the request is feasible, and if so, help you identify next steps.

I am a TC faculty member and would like OIA to host an event for me.  Is this possible?  OIA makes every effort to assist faculty members with their international interests. While our capacity is limited, we are happy to provide support to faculty interested in holding an international event at the College.

I am a TC faculty member and have a medical concern that arose while conducting research abroad. Which office should I contact? Please contact the Office of Risk Management at or 1-212-678-3482 if you need assistance with an insurance claim or other insurance-related issues arising from your travel abroad while working. 

Can OIA help coordinate international travel for TC faculty and administrators? Yes. OIA can help with the logistics of College-related international travel for TC faculty and administrators. If this applies to you, please follow this link to the OIA Travel Handbook.