Skip to content Skip to main navigation
Teachers College, Columbia University
Printer-friendly Version
Teachers College, Columbia University Logo

Welcome Day / New Student Orientation

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I register for this year's Welcome Day / New Student Orientation?

Students admitted during the summer or fall 2017 term receive invitations to RSVP via email. The invitation is also accessible via the Admitted Student Portal

Please note that your email address and password associated with your admissions application is required, to log into the portal.

Where do I check-in on Welcome Day?

Students that are able to attend the morning segment of Welcome Day may check-in in Lerner Hall (1st floor lobby of the auditorium), located on the Monringside (main CU) campus. Please enter via the Broadway Street Entrance. Check-in is available 8:00am - 10:00am. 

If you are unable to attend the morning segment, Late Check-in will be available 11:00am - 1:00pm in Thorndike Hall (1st floor lobby), located on the Teachers College campus. Please enter via the Thorndike entrance on West 120th Street.

Click here to view a campus map, highlighting both check-in locations.

When is Welcome Day? Where can I find schedule details?

Welcome Day 2017 will be held on Tuesday, September 5.  Click here to browse the schedule.

Can I bring a guest to Welcome Day / Orientation?

Space is limited to new Teachers College students only. Guests are encouraged to explore the beauty of your new home, New York City. Click here for a helpful guide of Morningside Heights, highlighting local businesses. 

Please contact your respective Academic Department and/or Program. Access contact information here.

Is Welcome Day attendance mandatory?

While Welcome Day (also know as New Student Orientation) activities are not mandatory, we strongly encourage incoming graduate students to attend to meet fellow classmates, administrators, and faculty.  Activities are intended to help familiarize new students with College resources and build community, before everyone gets busy with academics.

How do I obtain my student ID card?

ID Cards may be obtained by visiting the Office of Card Services located in Whittier Hall (Suite 1B). 

Uploading your photo prior to visiting Card Services is strongly encouraged. Failure to do so may result in extended wait-times. The photo must be passport-style and meet the below specifications:

  • The photo should be a color, JPEG file
  • The background should be uniform and light-colored
  • You must be facing forward, with your head and shoulders clearly visible
  • No photos with sunglasses or hats will be accepted
  • The file cannot exceed 100k in size

An activated UNI is required to upload your ID photo

What organizations should I expect to see at the Resource Fair?

Click here to view the list of student service areas and student organizations participating in this year's Resource Fair held on Welcome Day.

Note: List will be updated on an on-going basis.

Getting Started at TC

Frequently Asked Questions

When do classes begin?

The fall 2017 terms begins Wednesday, September 6. Students are also encouraged to review the Academic Calendar for additional important dates.

What is the myTC portal?

The myTC Portal is your one-stop shop for accessing services at TC. To access the portal, students must have an activated UNI, which is the primary account for Columbia University Students. To activate your UNI, visit http://uni.columbia.edu/.

The myTC Portal provides access to: 

  • Announcements
  • Courses
  • Grades
  • Software and Tools
  • Service Desk
  • TC Gmail & G Suite

Where can I learn more about financial aid?

Please visit the Office of Financial Aid for more information. 

What dining options are available at TC?

During the Academic Year, Grace Dodge Dining Hall serves an array of hot and cold meals, beverages and snacks.

Everett Cafe, located outside of the Gottesman Library, serves Starbucks coffee and a variety baked goods, grab n' go salads, sandwiches and snack packs.

Dining Services offers several meal plan options, including TC Dining Dollars and Flex Accounts.

Are there intercampus transportation services available?

The Intercampus Shuttle provides an efficient, timely and safe means for faculty, staff, and students to travel between Morningside, Lamont, Manhattanville, Medical Center, and Harlem Hospital campuses. The Intercampus shuttle runs Monday through Friday, excluding University holidays. Seating is available on a first-come, first-served basis. For more information, visit http://transportation.columbia.edu/intercampus.

Where are printing stations located on campus?

All Teachers College students may print 20 free pages per week. The 20 free pages can be accessed on any GoPrint printer in the Student Computing Support Center (Horace Mann 242) and in Macy 345. Students may also print using the Ninja printing station in the Gottesman Library. For more information and instructions, visit Computing & Informational Services.

What services & resources are offered by the Office of Student Affairs?

The Office of Student Affairs (OSA) oversees a wide-range of student-centered services and resources, including:


There are a few places to receive this information. Here are our suggested sites to help you get started: